Glow

Started by
6 comments, last by circlesoft 18 years, 9 months ago
Hy! How can I create Glow, and LensFlare effects without pixel- and vertexshaders? Is a good tutorial on the Net for me? THX
Advertisement
Glow is additive rendering, I've seen some effects of this as drawing sprites (white sprites, starshaped) over the entire screen (where pixels are bright), which makes it influence the areas around the sky etc. If this is what you mean, normal glow (like fire) is just additive rendering.

LensFlare is simply additive sprites drawn on a line between two points (more or less), but more advanced of course.

Try google, I bet there are some very nice tutorials on this.

glow is out, HYPNOGLOW is in.

anyway, a glow/bloom-filter is more or less a matter of blurring the bright parts of the screen, and additive-blend it on top of the normal rendering.

this is how i do it:
- render the screen to a texture
- subtractive-blending a quad on top of the scene in order to get only the bright pixels.
- horisontally blurring the texture to another texture
- vertically blurring the texture to another texture
- horisontally blurring the texture to another texture
- vertically blurring the texture to another texture
[...]
- additive-blending a quad with the result-texture on top of the normal rendering.

btw, i think alex evans' document "four tricks for fast blurring in software and hardware" (located on gamasutra) might come in handy here.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

Please elaborate -- what is hypnoglow?
btw, i think alex evans' document "four tricks for fast blurring in software and hardware" (located on gamasutra) might come in handy here.

Linkster

Here is another article on Gamasutra, outlining the effective glow technique used in Tron3K.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Quote:Original post by helix

Please elaborate -- what is hypnoglow?

A google search turns up interesting results. There was a text document describing it, but it's not there anymore. There's a demo at pouet, check it out.

Quote:Original post by Coder
There's a demo at pouet, check it out.

Are you referring to this one? Even though it's weird, it's kind of interesting and looks cool.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement