[java] Was Star Wars Galaxies really written in java?

Started by
16 comments, last by capn_midnight 18 years, 9 months ago
What does it explain though?

Cas :)
Advertisement
Java is often used for server code, because you can keep the system configuration constant, so you don't have to worry about stupid cross-platform tweeks.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Every tried your hand at modding the Unreal engine? UScript, while it is not directly java, is very java-esque... Not sure if that counts :P
Quote:Original post by jake2431
The title pretty much says it. I was reading part of Killer Game Programming with Java and it was mentioning games written in java and this was one of them. I looked up the system requirements and Java isn't one of them, but it may come with it or something. Any info?

-Jake

I read somewhere(Ill see if I can find it), that certain oarts of the AI(possibly most or all of it)were written in Java for SWG. Not then entire server, or at least from what I remember.
Cool, thanks for all of the replies guys.

-Jake
Quote:Original post by capn_midnight
Java is often used for server code, because you can keep the system configuration constant, so you don't have to worry about stupid cross-platform tweeks.

This is purely theoretical. I ran into countless cross-platform tweaks throughout my career. To give you one example, a Java system that ran perfectly on Windows refused to run on a Linux box. After many hours of debugging on site it turned out that a Linux Java implementation of a random number generator depended on user input and the Linux box had no keyboard attached since it was administered remotely.

This may seem like a contrived example but it's this kind of stuff that sucks up tremendous amounts of time. Java software is naturally far less costly to port than C++ alternative but it's far, far from seemless.
The trick is to find all these little tricks, and wrap them up in your code so they never bother you again.

I've never even seen Ultratron running on a Mac - how about that eh?

Cas :)
Quote:Original post by CoffeeMug
Quote:Original post by capn_midnight

This is purely theoretical. I ran into countless cross-platform tweaks throughout my career. To give you one example, a Java system that ran perfectly on Windows refused to run on a Linux box. After many hours of debugging on site it turned out that a Linux Java implementation of a random number generator depended on user input and the Linux box had no keyboard attached since it was administered remotely.

This may seem like a contrived example but it's this kind of stuff that sucks up tremendous amounts of time. Java software is naturally far less costly to port than C++ alternative but it's far, far from seemless.

no, I'm agreeing with you, you can use java for server code and not client code because the configuration for your servers is much more limited (generally you have complete control over the server configuration and no control over the client configuration). So, all those stupid tweaks become a non-issue, you can just stick to one server configuration in-house.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement