Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Good computer temperature?

Started by DevLiquidKnight Jul 6, 2005 at 3:38 AM 14 replies 13.9k views
Original Post
DevLiquidKnight
DevLiquidKnight
I was wondering what is the average temperature of a computer when its running a game such as guildwars? I was playing it my fan started to sound a bit odd, almost like the fan was going really fast. So I was wondering is this something to be concerned about, I checked the temperature and it clocked in about 132.8f/56c.
CJWR
CJWR
well, i'm on a laptop right now, but 56c is (i think) a little on the warm side. but really, anything under 60c shouldn't give you problems, i think P4s are fine up to 70c (just don't run them that hot lol). check intel or amd's websites for infomation on how hot their processors are supposed to run.
Charles Reed, CEO of CJWR Software LLC
paulecoyote
paulecoyote
If your fan does not have a temperature sensor regulating it's speed you may want to buy a new one [wink]
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
boolean
boolean
From what I have found, Pentiums usually run at 40c, and Athlons at about 50-60c. I base this on no facts other than what I remember.
Yosh
Yosh
Quote:
Original post by DevLiquidKnight
I was wondering what is the average temperature of a computer when its running a game such as guildwars? I was playing it my fan started to sound a bit odd, almost like the fan was going really fast. So I was wondering is this something to be concerned about, I checked the temperature and it clocked in about 132.8f/56c.

56C is just fine. It's perfectly safe, in fact, so don't worry about it. [smile]
________________________________"Fetch me a rope, lynch mob of one." - Randy Blythe, Lamb of God."The masses are asses." - Unkown.
DevLiquidKnight
DevLiquidKnight
Im running a pentium 4, it makes my room temperature rather high though. And my room used to be very cold.

Quote:
Original post by paulecoyote
If your fan does not have a temperature sensor regulating it's speed you may want to buy a new one [wink]


I belive it does have one, because like I said the fan sounded very loud like it was going really fast. After closing guildwars and then going to check its temperature, it sounded like it was getting slower.

Intel's site says it should be kept under 38 degress celcius.

For pure knowlege how many years does a fan usually last?

[Edited by - DevLiquidKnight on July 6, 2005 9:56:18 AM]
smr
smr
Some people go a little crazy over temperature. If your computer isn't freezing up, beeping, or on fire then you have nothing to worry about.
cignox1
cignox1
I'm waiting for my pc to become a fireball: my AthlonXP 2600 Mhz is at least at 65C, raising 69/70C when playing (AoE II is enaught). Then it beeps, it crashes, it reboots and I don't know what else...
I was working on a ray-tracer, but I had to delay this spare-time project because ('I don't have spare-time anymore' and) after 15/20sec rendering soft shadows and blur reflections it bagan to make:
beep....beep.....beeep....beep....beeep...beep...beee...beeeeep....beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...
(stopped by me crying 'not now, you bastard!' and pressing the 'power' button on the case in order to save the damn thing).
bytecoder
bytecoder
My athlon64 doesn't go above 40C, no matter what I'm doing. Currently it's idling at 39/38C.
EDIT:
That's assuming that /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature measures the cpu temperature.
Grizwald
Grizwald
My athlon 64 idles at 32, and full loads at around 38-40 on air cooling. I wouldn't ever let it run hotter than 45. I'm a freak about that.

Now my video card is another story :D
I love me and you love you.
Sneftel
Sneftel
To read stuff on the Web, you'd think that any computer running above around 20 degrees Celsius was in imminent danger of not only catching fire, but actually becoming a superheated plasma which would then cause your house to explode and your ping-times to rise. These are primarily overclockers writing these things, and they get a perverse thrill from using a cooler the size of a refrigerator to eke out an extra 0.03% from their machine. Don't worry about it; a CPU, assuming it has a decent heatsink on it, will stop working long before it actually burns itself up. If your CPU is running under 70 degrees Celsius, it's probably fine.
tHiSiSbOb
tHiSiSbOb
Read the AMD and Intel docs. The AMD ones say these things are safe even up to 80 degrees (I think). Like people said, if it isn't doing anything weird, you are fine. Plus, modern computers have multiple safeguards to protect from overheating...The computer will shutdown before anything happens.
----------------------------------------------------"Plant a tree. Remove a Bush" -A bumper sticker I saw.
Luckless
Luckless
Yeah, shouldn't worry too much about the temp of the processor as long as its getting good air flow (provided that the air flowing over it isn't like 80C or something, that just likely wouldn't be good)

One guy that was at a lan I was at once had so many fans in his case, the fans were actually producing more heat than the processor, and his case temp was the same as my near stock Compaq, with the only fans being the one on the processor, and the one on the Graphics card.

Also becareful of air flow! You can create high/low pressure areas in a case that do not get airflow, so would actually hurt your cooling. I've seen the problems you can create with air flow in a pig barn, farmer was wondering why the pigs were getting sick, they had lots of airflow, actually enough to change all the air in the barn in, (Actually I forget how long it was to exchange all the air, but it was well above code) After they got the pigs out, they did a smoke test, and all the air flow was going just above the pens, and NOT where the pigs were needing it.


I've always wondered if there was a good, easy way to do a smoke test of one sort or another inside a closed computer case.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
AsOne
AsOne
Yeah you should be good to like 80C, even though this is probably horrible on your computer. One of the fans on my computer broke without me knowing it, whenever I used my computer for more than about two hours it just froze up, I checked the temperature and found it to be 82C! I fixed the fan and installed another one and nothing is broken, although my NVIDIA card sort of melted a few days later, but this was mostly becasue dust got clogged up in the fan on the card itself.
Cypher19
Cypher19
If you're really paranoid about cooling, you could try getting a can of compressed air and just cleaning it. When I did that my CPU temp dropped from 70C (*danger Will Robinson!!*) to 50C.
Michalson
Michalson
Quote:
Original post by boolean
From what I have found, Pentiums usually run at 40c, and Athlons at about 50-60c. I base this on no facts other than what I remember.


In 2000. A lot has changed (namely it's now reversed, with Prescotts that have to throttle to avoid melting, and Athlon 64s remaining efficient).

To the original poster, is that temperature your CPU, or your case (motherboard sensor). If it's the CPU, it's not the end of the world. If it's the case/motherboard sensor then things are way too hot. At the very least you're probably killing your harddrives at that temperature.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.