Your opinion on game control

Started by
3 comments, last by Succinct 23 years, 5 months ago
Alright guys, I''m kind of a control freak. When I hit a key, I want the computer to respond to it. Even if I hit 5 in a row, really fast, I want it to do all 5, in the order I hit them in. Problem is, to read in their keypresses, most games use something like GetAsyncKeyState( ), right? Well, the problem I have w/ that is GetAsyncKeyState( ) misses some keypresses. For instance, if you hit a key really fast after the GetAsyncKeyState call while the game''s executing some contrary move (such as turning right and hitting turn left), it''s just going to turn which ever way was pressed first (right, in this case), and ignore the other. ... this drives me nuts... what i thought of (and did) was store all of the keypresses in a ll, and execute all of the keypresses that happened since the last frame each frame. this makes for some different gameplay, because every key you hit get''s executed. it gets kinda wierd if you do like 40 moves ahead, but it''s easy to put a cap on it. i just want some opinions from you hardcore gamers/developers... would this be a good idea? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I have no name that you may call me. I am merely Succinct. ~Succinct Demos Online~ "Hey, where''d that display list rotate off to now?" -(Drop me a line here)-
-- Succinct(Don't listen to me)
Advertisement
I would say it depends on the game... for a game like Descent... it made sense... the ship was limited on it''s maneuverability and that key stroke timing simulated it. In a game like Quake, it could simulate the movements you want to do... doing a certain sequence can even make you do some kinda roll while firing trick...

E.D.
Enoch DagorLead DeveloperDark Sky EntertainmentBeyond Protocol
quote:Original post by EnochDagor
In a game like Quake, it could simulate the movements you want to do... doing a certain sequence can even make you do some kinda roll while firing trick.

That's what i'm thinking. Not so much as, like, super moves in the 1 on 1 fighting games, but just so far as if i shoot, move, and jump, all the keys going down (to me)simultaneously, i want them all to happen...

personally, i've never really had a problem w/ this in games like Quake, but stuff like that happens in lots of others... UO for example!

I tried it in a tetris clone (werking on my ogl library, it still sucks), so if you(rhetorically) want, you(rhetorically) can try it. click on my signature, and then TetrisCloneAlpha.zip

i suppose it makes more sense for a game like tetris, but still, i can see applications in other genres.

Edited by - Succinct on November 29, 2000 7:33:11 PM
I have personally not yet used DirectInput, but i believe that solves ur problems? Keep in mind that keyboards are not made all alike. Most can only handle three keys being pressed *simultanously*, some old ones only two. Thought i''d point that out, just in case ur planning on having moves that require too many keys.
BetaShare - Run Your Beta Right!
Yeah, and that makes me think of another question, LordElectro.

if the kb''s driver only allows, at max, maybe like 7 keys (there''s how many pins in the plug? ), then does DirectInput overcome this somehow? I mean it''s the driver!

hrmmm.

i know about the difference between different kb''s, believe me! (started programming in dos ), so i''m using window''s VK codes coming through WINPROC in the form of WM_KEYUP/DOWN,WM_SYSKEYUP/DOWN. I''d rather use DI, but, my comp''s broke (and until i get more money will stay that way), so i''ve been sneaking into the labs at my university and working there... can''t install dx...

oh,well.

still, good point, L.E.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have no name that you may call me. I am merely Succinct.
~Succinct Demos Online~
"Hey, where''d that display list rotate off to now?"
-(Drop me a line here)-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement