Sign in to follow this  
one mind

[java] Whats a good java IDE?

Hi, There seems to be hundreds of java ide's out there and am looking for opinions on a good one. Is there a java ide standard ide that most devs use? Like vs is for c languages dev? I've heard netbeans was slow. Any info would be great, Thanks

Another vote for Eclipse.

I don't mean to start a flamewar or anything, but Netbeans is horrid. Sun has been losing more and more developers to Eclipse. It's gotten so bad that they're bundling Netbeans with the Java 1.5 SDK. (I know you can get the SDK without it- but it seems very telling that they would bundle Netbeans around the time that less people are using it.) They've also been very sneaky- quoting the recent increase of Netbeans downloads as proof people like the program. When of course, the increased downloads have a lot to do with the bundle.

Not that Netbeans is *bad* or anything. Just that Eclipse has been and is better currently. Only recently has Netbeans been able to hold a flame against Eclipse. And that's because Sun's been playing catchup hardcore.

Quote:
Original post by CJH
NetBeans. Eclipse does more, but chugs.

And NetBeans doesn't? JBuilder's load time blows NetBeans out of the water on my computer. But NetBeans does more than JBuilder, so...*shrugs*

Quote:
Original post by Pajari
How does Eclipse compare to JCreator? I've never used Eclipse (downloading it now, on the reccommendation of everyone here) so I've no basis for comparison.

It might take a while to get used to it, but after some time you don't want to change back! Trust me.

I use Netbeans 4.1 and I like it very much, specially for J2EE development. However, if you're starting to learn Java by now, Netbeans won't be a good choice for you: you won't be able to notice what the IDE does "under the hood", and it might damage your learning curve.

That said... stick to Eclipse until you learn a fair amount of Java. Then you will be able to choose the IDE that better suits your needs.

Son Of Cain

And another vote for Eclipse from me. I have been using it for about a year now and have no complaints. It is easy to use and fairly powerful/feature rich. Plus if you need something more, you can always download some new plugins which are widely available.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Eclipse, all the way.

I must confess I've not tried NetBeans for a few revisions. I ran it some time ago, but was never entirely happy. After trying out Eclipse I immediately switched, and have been given no reason to consider anything else since.

--cfmdobbie

Heres another vote for eclipse, as the best cross-platform java IDE I have found (and someday I will get around to test driving the C/C++ modules).

However, since I am on a Mac, I tend to use Apple's Xcode, which is quite a functional java IDE, and it blows the java-based IDEs out of the water performance-wise, since I am running an older machine.

Eclipse all the way. I have used it for Java, C, LUA and other things with great success. Indeed you might need more than 256MB of ram to run it good but it is an awesome IDE to develop on. You can't go wrong by trying it.
If you want to do mobile development there is an EclipseME plugin that takes care of all SDK interraction for most of the major J2ME SDKs out there. The only thing you need to do while using it is write the code, edit the JAD fields and package :)