A Beginner with a design.doc

Started by
11 comments, last by Beemer 18 years, 9 months ago
The problem with turn based combat based on a browser, is what happens when 1 party disconnects? Do they forefit the match? How much time must elapse before it is considered a disconnect? For this, you may have to go with a java applet, or an activex form, so it can talk to the server and make sure everything is on the up and up.
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
Advertisement
Heyas;

Thanks for the link on the PHP game programming book. I was actually looking for something like that. Also, thanks for the input, for those of who you have supplied it.

For the others who saw fit to jump into flaming, I think that you misunderstood my post, which is entirely my fault, because at the time I was thinking more about going to bed than anything else, having just finished with working about 20 hours straight on a business project. As such, I don't believe my second question from my first post was very well communicated, so I will attempt to clarify.

My calling for a MySQL programmer was not an attempt to get someone to do the project FOR me. I believe I specifically used the word 'HELP' as in be available to provide input, answer questions, and yes maybe even provide a script or two. I did NOT in any way intend to insinuate that I wanted others to do the work for me. I am currently learning PHP, and I have a very good grasp on MySQL. I realize the road to development for me will be a long and bumpy one at this stage of the game, but I DO intend on travelling it. I just do not wish to go it alone, as I had thought there was a great community here that might be kind enough to provide a bit of insight/input via the whole mentor/teacher and student relationship.

Maybe, as I get quite a bit further into development I'll ask for someone who might be willing to participate in the project, but currently I want to do the groundwork myself.

As for the question concerning turn-based combat, and someone losing connection, I am glad you asked. It is an issue I mentioned, and hope to address in my design document. Basically, a rudimentary AI would take over. Granted, it will be somewhat limited at first, but at least the combat units wont just sit there and do nothing. Also, empires cannot be completely destroyed all at one go. I intend on implementing a surrender system that would help prevent total annihilation, as I realize that the nature of the game is such that you may not be online when attacks take place. Another option I've played with a little bit is limiting what can happen to an empire while its owner is offline, but that idea is vague at best.

Also, as stated in my first post, I realize that Java may be a better, more viable alternative when it comes to combat engines. It is in this area I wish the most input, as I know the combat engine will be the most difficult to build. So, if you wish to seriously be involved in this project in the capacity of an advisor or mentor, I welcome the input of those more experienced than I. As time passes, and development progresses, I would welcome participation, but I will not push it.

The project will be split into 3 main stages (databases):
1. Login & user administration
2. combat engine
3. Empire management

Thanks again for all of your input, especially metion of the PHP book. I appreciated it.

Regards,
Beemer
Quote:Original post by TheOther
you can make MORPGs with any language you want..so I disagree with the suggestion that it "needs" to be in C++..

There's loads of such games that I found with a quick search through google.

I'd avoid ASP though..just stick with a PHP frontend to MySQL. If you've been in the webgame, then you'll pick up pretty fast that PHP is somewhat like ASP syntax, only it doesn't hang your browser (as much)..;)

Though if you do want some simple graphics..(ie. Like Ultima III or something), then I'd vote for a Flash front end with DB calls to the MySQL.

Again, there's a few projects using that tech already, so it's more than possible.

Ah yes, the flash solution. I DO have flash, but there's (IMHO) quite a learning curve on that. It might be a viable upgrade/expansion, but flash is a bit much for me right now. As for the graphics, you've touched on the one issue in which I am completely overwhelmed. I intend on a 2d hex-based battlefield with unanimated icons for the units. There are a LOT of units to be implemented, and implementing the units themselves will be challenging, though I will begin with just a few at first. The units are already done, as far as design goes. I just have to input all of that information in the database, once I have it built. The units will have a variety of weapon configurations, armor, and internals. (once armor is gone, internals take damage, increasing the likelihood of critical hits, and/or destruction based on the location in which you take damage.) Again, its a bit much to get into on the forum, but is in the design document.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement