Ewww.... I just played the original Diablo

Started by
29 comments, last by Oberon_Command 18 years, 9 months ago
And, it sucked! "Hell no", I said, and I turned off the game 3 minutes after I installed it. It was horribly jerky, and he wouldn't walk in one direction (I guess the isometricism keeps him from doing that). Are all games that are isometric like that? I've never realized that before, but man, that was annoying! Any hints on how to make an isometric game look cool? Or should I just stick with the boring 2d shizznik. Or maybe go way over my head and do 3d, who knows. Do you guys know what runescape is in? www.runescape.com Is that isometric, or a very-low leveled 3d? Thanks, Gardon
Advertisement
As far as I'm aware, the original Diablo was not '3D' in the way that the term is currently taken to mean, nor was its sequel (although you could switch some 3D-accelerated effects on).

The first one would have had significantly more limitations to its game model, which is probably why it didn't respond in the way you expected. But in Diablo 2 you can see that those limitations aren't necessary just due to the view.

If you weren't impressed by Diablo (which was a masterwork of a game at the time), then you probably don't want to embark on a non-3D isometric-view game. In many ways, working directly with 3D is a whole lot easier than trying to create the illusion with 2D images. With 3D you just create the models and animations, then setup the camera/view - 3D hardware and dedicated libraries do most of the work for you.

Let me re-phrase my statement:

The original diablo kicked so much ass when it came out... it was the best thing on the market.

However, now, like 6 years later, I'm going back to it from a game development perspective, and it's not at all what I'm looking to make.

I'm a newbie game programmer. I don't want to rush something, such as 3d, without making a 2d game first.

But you see, I'm very goalful (word?). I can't just settle for something like zelda. I have to make something rock. That's why I'm thinking of isometrics, because it seems cooler than games like zelda.

Or should I just scrap it and try 3d?

Thanks,

Gardon
I guess an idea would be to use an isometric tile set, but have a 3D objects on top of it instead of sprites?
Im losing the popularity contest. $rating --;
I want to use sprites (damnit! everything is so hard), mostly because I don't legally have a 3D modelling program that I could use to distribute my product. Arg, so much stress and detailing shit. I just want to be able to make a cool looking game, with a little character on the screen.

go to:

www.runescape.com

and look at runescape classic (the game I played about 5 years ago). Now that game totally kicked some ass.

I wanted something like that, but not in Java (hell no) and make it more smooth.

Do you see what I'm saying, that size of character, with that view of the world, but better.

Something looking like that,

Gardon
If you're new, I challenge you to have a second look at 2D, and to get so good at it that you can eat problems like asset loading, race conditions and game design itself for breakfast.

A game won't be boring because of the technology used to present it, it will be boring because of how it's designed. I've seen Resident Evil made into a versus card game that was fast and fun.

EDIT: Also, given your last post, I'd have to stress patience. You need enough experience to be able to ask the right questions. Anything worth making is going to be hard, but if you just get pissed off and frustrated, you won't make anything. Have a look at the resources around here. Also, look into Wings3D if you still want 3D, it's a good 3D modeling program friendly to non-artists (I picked it up in no time).
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Quote:But you see, I'm very goalful (word?). I can't just settle for something like zelda. I have to make something rock.
If, as a self-proclaimed "newbie game programmer" could make something even close to Zelda, I would be extremely impressed. I think you're trying to run before you can walk - start on the basics first, it's actually a lot harder than it appears.
Is there any way to have a 3d looking character on an easy to make 2d terrain (tile based perhaps)?

Just a thought. I spent all this time working on this guys animations, and now I have to make a lower looking guy.

Gardon
Quote:Original post by Gardon
However, now, like 6 years later...

More like 9 years. [smile]
Diablo came out in 1996 as far as I recall, and Diablo II in 2000.

Hack my projects! Oh Yeah! Use an SVN client to check them out.BlockStacker
Quote:Original post by Gardon
Is there any way to have a 3d looking character on an easy to make 2d terrain (tile based perhaps)?

Yes. The Diablo 2 Postmortem (gamasutra registration may or may not be required) might give you some ideas.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement