Embarrassed by VB?

Started by
33 comments, last by xegoth 18 years, 9 months ago
For quite a while now I've been meaining to start developing an FPS (including the engine), with the intention of it being it a near commercial level (of about 5 years ago). I did start one a while ago, but due to lack of planning, I ended up getting rather stuck, so I scrapped it. I was developing the engine in Visual Basic, using DirectX 7 API, but, for my new project, I was considering whether or not I should try coding it in C++ (also using a newer version of DirectX). After much thinking, I came to the conclusion it would be best for me to stick to VB for now, because I know VB inside and out, whereas I hardly no C++ at all. Also, I am keen on getting the engine under way asap, but if I were to code it in C++, I would have to do a hell of a lot of learning first (and learning something new means more problems, and more frustraition). So, here's my dilemma: since VB is not the coolest, or most complex of languages, should I be embarrassed from developing my game in it? What do you think? (And please, be brutally honest :P) Oh, and also, if you want to see a little bit of what the engine I was working was like, look here: http://luke88.t35.com/progress.htm The screenshots really don't do justice, I did have some nice-ish levels made, although they still did suck a bit :)
luke88
Advertisement
embarrassed? nah. you'll probably have guys saying VB sucks and all that but who cares? the only concern I'd have is speed and flexibility but really, all that matters is the end product. if you come up with a decent looking game that's fun to play then I'm sure everyone would shut their mouths real quick ;)
Just use whatever you're most familiar with. If that happens to be VB, so be it.
I'm with the others use what you are familiar with, but be aware of the great cost of using VB... even though rendering 3D VB is happy to spend CPU time on pretty much nothing, as even calculations are expensive in VB. (But, it all boils down to wether you are going to be CPU intensive)

For all that it worth, do know that working with C++ is much more time consuming on the other end, and taking care of memory leaks can be a real pain in the ass.

But, my recommendation, be aware of the cost of the use of either one.

If you want to catch up with the times (since you are living several years in the past), then get Visual Basic.NET. Your VB abilities will carry over (to some extent) and it's a much more expressive and much more powerful language than VB6 ever was.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by Syranide
I'm with the others use what you are familiar with, but be aware of the great cost of using VB... even though rendering 3D VB is happy to spend CPU time on pretty much nothing, as even calculations are expensive in VB. (But, it all boils down to wether you are going to be CPU intensive)

For all that it worth, do know that working with C++ is much more time consuming on the other end, and taking care of memory leaks can be a real pain in the ass.

But, my recommendation, be aware of the cost of the use of either one.

Meh. He's not making quake5. Hell, I've made games in python that run fine, considering the fact that most of the time spent in a game is done drawing, which is done in the graphics library--DirectX, SDL, etc., anyway.
You'll get a lot of people here saying that there is nothing wrong with VB, that you should use what you're confortable with, etc...

I won't be one of them.

I'm also not going to advise you to go over to VB.Net, cause it's a whole diferent ball of wax...

I'm quite sure whatever you sit down to code, you want to do the best damn job you can. I think you're aware that C++ brings it's share of dificulties to the table, but also solves a lot of stuff that perhaps isnt as simple to do in VB.

So, why not lose the required time to get profecient in C++? Then whatever you do decide to sit down to do, you'll be more apt for it.

It also looks better in a Resume, and I don't think anyone will hire you for game programming if you don't have a firm grasp of C++ and it's various libraries...

As always this was my sincere two cents...
It depends on what your goal is. If this is purely a hobbyist project, use whatever language you are comfortable with. I knew a guy who coded a nice 3D engine in VB a long time ago, back when the language wasn't half as good as it is now (he was one of the regulars in #rpgdev on efnet).

If this is not a hobbyist project and you wish to make a career out of it, you'd better learn C++ and learn it as soon as possible. You won't be getting a game coding job anywhere without a -strong- grasp of C++ (with the exception of mobile companies where Java might be better).

With that being said, if you do go with C++, it's going to be a while before you will be ready to attempt making a 3D engine using it. If you already have a solid grasp of data structures and object oriented design, the learning process will go much faster. If you don't, expect atleast 1 year of learning and experimenting.

Take Prozak's advice ONLY if you are very serious about getting a job in the industry.
Sounds like me 1 year ago :)... I was like some sort of VB pro or what ever. VB is designed basically to make really quick biz apps, so I knew if I wanted to do any 3D stuff at all I was going to have to learn c / c++.

I did all the wondering your doing, but knew I was going to have to bite the bullet sooner or later.

From my point of view, having a good grounding in any programming language made learning c / c++ simpler, because at least I knew basics like loops, arrays, functions, ect... I still forget to put ; on the end of each line :).

At any rate, you can keep using VB if you wish, but as long as you are happy to live with the following facts
- A well writen VB app will never be as fast as a well written C / C++ app
- VB will never run on anything other then MS Windows, unless your using DirectX then it wont make a difference.
- All the hottest chicks program in c++

DaveC
Quote:Original post by bobason456
- All the hottest chicks program in c++

DaveC

Ah, if only that were true...

Game Programming Blog: www.mattnewport.com/blog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement