Object's coordinates data exporter / help

Started by
2 comments, last by guyaton 18 years, 9 months ago
I am looking for help. I am not a programmer at all :( We make our first game using in-house technology. Model in MAX, export to X using Panda X exporter. Here is what I need. There is a scene with level geometry, objects, lights, cameras, etc. I would like to have options added to object properties, where I can define which type of geometry object is - level or entity. Then, instead of selecting each object, I would like to click a button and dialog will appear. It should allow me to choose which object in a scene I would like to export and after pressing Ok button, it will export each object to separate .X file. And also script will generate file (text file with sertain structure) which will contain coordinates of entities (objects) relatevely to level geometry (walls, floors, etc.). How hard would it be to implement in MAX Script? Can somebody help me with that script? I appresiate your time, thank you! e-mail: a_zubov (at) kot-in-action.com MSN: a_zubov (at) hotmail.com
Web: http://www.kot-in-action.com
IRC: irc.freenode.org #steelstorm
Advertisement
I don't believe there is no person familiar with MAX Script!
Please, help indie out!
Web: http://www.kot-in-action.com
IRC: irc.freenode.org #steelstorm
Unfortunately, it's not a matter of knowing or not knowing MaxScript, it's the fact that you're asking for a pretty big order. To be able to create custom object properties for things through custom dialogs, and the ability to export things seperately is a rather complex script (I dunno if MaxScript can even do that much, I'm not all to familiar with it myself). One thing to check out could be the standard 3DS files from Max, they do contain all objects and geometry in the scene, and are documented enough to be able to use them in an engine. As for custom object properties, have you considered using the User Properties field for objects? Right clicking on an object and clicking Properties, then click the User Properties tab. This is actually what I use to export custom data per object from Max, and it works exceptionally well. Sorry I can't be of more help, but good luck to you.
You are probably going to have to learn the 3D Max SDK. I bet that is the only tool powerful enough to develop that. It will take a bit of learning time, so all I can say to you is good luck unless you want to pay someone to do that.

~guyaton
~guyaton

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement