Game Operating System for PC

Started by
51 comments, last by CloudNine 18 years, 9 months ago
Hi, We are designing a Game Operating System for PC from the ground up what features do you guys want? I am arguing against supporting openGL because I think its hard to learn and it may be too large for a game programming api; API for games should be cusotm taylored with features added specifically as requested by programmers. Anyways, what features would you guys like to have in such an OS? Thanks, Erica
Advertisement
Wait here just a second... are you doing an OS or an API? Making a game OS just sounds well a bit insane as we allready have the hugely popular and widely supported 'WintendoXP'.

And if you're doing an API I guess you should start by looking at the available frameworks and thing a bit about what's going to be diffrent about your product.
HardDrop - hard link shell extension."Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - Yeats
OGL and DX are a must.
We're insane. It will be an OS and no DirectX/3D/Sound will be supported. A PC is more powerful than a game console just think about the kind of games that can be made if all the computing power of the PC is dedicated to the game itself!?
Although, drivers will be a bit of an engineering problem because Nvidia doesn't share how to write one. but that is just an engineering problem that may be solvable, i hope.
What will be the differences between ordinary OS (Windows, Linux, Mac-OS) and your approach regarding process-, resource-management and other classic OS-tasks? What benefit will your approach have?

I am contrary to your opinion about learning OpenGL. IMHO OpenGL is the easiest prof. graphics API out there, furthermore best supported by the graphics card vendors. Which API would you like to use instead? Have you ever programmed a game, not to mention using OpenGL?

Operating system for almost every purpose are dime a dozen. Have you already investigated them if there isn't an OS meeting your needs already implemented?

You should point out your aims somewhat clearer in order to discuss more constructive. But IMHO it makes no sense to implement an OS especially for games - that would lead into reinventing the wheel.
Greetings,STORM!
Quote:Original post by earamesy
Hi,
We are designing a Game Operating System for PC from the ground up what features do you guys want? I am arguing against supporting openGL because I think its hard to learn and it may be too large for a game programming api; API for games should be cusotm taylored with features added specifically as requested by programmers.

Anyways, what features would you guys like to have in such an OS?

Thanks,
Erica

You lost all credibility with me when you said...
"I am arguing against supporting OpenGL because I think its hard to learn"

I'm sorry, but if you think OpenGL is hard to learn then you have NO idea what you are doing.

And furthermore...
"API for games should be cusotm taylored with features added specifically as requested by programmers. "

How do you even think OpenGL came about ???? PROGRAMMERS GETTING TOGETHER AND REQUESTING ***SPECIFICALLY*** WHAT THEY WANTED IN IT. I mean, have you ever HEARD of SGI ??
Author Freeworld3Dhttp://www.freeworld3d.org
You lost all credability with me when you said 'Game Operating System for PC'. The PC is designed to be general, not just games, so even if you design the perfect 'Game Operating System' you'll still be running it on sub-optimal hardware (since it was designed to be general purpose). Why would I pay for $2000 for a PC that just plays games when I could be an XBox360 (well, soon anyway) for considerably less and which will perform faster? If you want a pure game machine, buy an xbox and create a new operating system for it.

Having said that, designing your own operating system is a great way to learn about the hardware and how your target OSes work, just don't try and flog it off as a 'Game Operating System'. That, and it's great fun....even if it never gets past switching to protected mode and printing "all your transistors belong to us" [smile]
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V
Quote:Anyways, what features would you guys like to have in such an OS?

a linux kernel.

seriously. why not build your own linux distro with nothing but wine in it and an easy way to download and run a bunch of games.
Quote:Original post by joanusdmentia"all your transistors are belong to us" [smile]

fixed.
HardDrop - hard link shell extension."Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - Yeats

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement