Two worst development suites

Started by
6 comments, last by Chris81 18 years, 9 months ago
Hello, I need to rant. Some of the apps where I work are coded in Oracle Forms and some are in Centura Gupta. Both of these systems absolutely suck. They are aweful! Get this...in Centura Gupta, you write code in an explorer-type tree list. That's right, in a tree. And Oracle Forms has so many poorly designed and buggy features, it's ridiculous. Anyone have ideas on how I can convince management to dump this Centura crap?
Advertisement
Put together a presentation on whatever you'd rather use instead. Make sure it is professional looking and tell them the advantages of your chosen system over the current. Point out why the old system doesn't fit the development needs, and justisfy the cost with increased productivity.
That would make too much sense. [grin]
I bet your company uses PeopleSoft's garbage too lol

Putting together a presentation might certainly be a good idea, as long as you have a good solution to offer (otherwise, you're just whining).

Also... be careful of who you show it to, as you may be chosen to be the one to port everything to the new, better environments you've chosen. (not familiar with what exactly those two are to begin with, so maybe there would be no work required)
What version of Oracle Forms are you using.

I used to use 4.5, and earlier text version 2.5 (I think it was, although that was pretty solid) and that was VERY buggy...even the IDE was buggy. Somethimes it would remove a code block...well remove the PLSQL code anyway. And I remeber that in order to get a simple message box out to screen (not just in the bottom left corner of the screen) you would have to do 2 messagebox() calls, with the same bit of info, twice.

Apprently v6i is alot better. Although Forms is no longer supported by Oracle anyway so, where I work, we are moving away from it...and it could be worse....Oracle REPORTS...AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

So what are the alternatives? VB or VB.NET?

What would you like to use instead, I would be interested to hear some viable alternatives so I can maybe persuade work to investigate some other gui environments?
Gary.Goodbye, and thanks for all the fish.
Quote:Original post by garyfletcher
What version of Oracle Forms are you using.

I used to use 4.5, and earlier text version 2.5 (I think it was, although that was pretty solid) and that was VERY buggy...even the IDE was buggy. Somethimes it would remove a code block...well remove the PLSQL code anyway. And I remeber that in order to get a simple message box out to screen (not just in the bottom left corner of the screen) you would have to do 2 messagebox() calls, with the same bit of info, twice.

Apprently v6i is alot better. Although Forms is no longer supported by Oracle anyway so, where I work, we are moving away from it...and it could be worse....Oracle REPORTS...AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

So what are the alternatives? VB or VB.NET?

What would you like to use instead, I would be interested to hear some viable alternatives so I can maybe persuade work to investigate some other gui environments?

Oracle Forms AND reports 9i. I'm sure it's just as aweful as 4.5. I would like to suggest we move to J2EE.
That would be lurvely...unfortunatley, where I work, I don't think that would be taken very seriously as decisions on technical architecture are driven by the business at a corporate level...I work for a rather large muti national.

I believe that the "decision" is to move toward .NET so the only real option I'm gonna have is vb .net I believe.

Still...got to be an improvement over forms.....hasn't it. Although saying that forms does have some advantages over vb when dealing with Oracle databases. The main one being (in 4.5 anyway) being able to set query_mode (was a while ago so that might be wrong?) on a block so it is populated directly from the database table on new_block_instance (or whatever it's called). Also, being native Oracle, querying database objects...tables, functions, packages etc, just uses straight SQL/PLSQL.

Not too sure how J2EE deals with this but in VB a "special" function is used to set up db dll, retrieve and deal with parameters/return codes from package functions etc. So it can be a bit of a pain.

Does J2EE provide a more "native" method?
Gary.Goodbye, and thanks for all the fish.
Quote:Original post by garyfletcher
Does J2EE provide a more "native" method?

All the J2EE/Oracle dev I've done has used strait JDBC, either directly, through app server jdbc pools, or using EJB's.

You can pretty much do any SQL code you want with JDBC, and execute PL/SQL procedures/packages.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement