beginner (help!! stupid questions)

Started by
8 comments, last by Syranide 18 years, 9 months ago
Is there a complete tutorial that covers a isometric engine from scratch? surfed all across the web the last 3 days, but can't find anything good. preferably DirectX, thanks for the help guys (and girls if you are a girl)
Advertisement
What language?
Quote:Original post by BosskIn Soviet Russia, you STFU WITH THOSE LAME JOKES!
I'd say you searched the wrong place :P

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/list.asp?categoryid=44

Pretty much everything one wants to know about, however, don't disregard from the fact that you must have a feeling of what you should do/how it should be done, that is, not just copy the articles and scrub your head whenever they don't work together, learn the basics and try your way, copying an article won't take your far, read it and do it yourself, look to the article when it fails. (advice)

Here is a simple overview article on isometric engine development: An Overview of Isometric Engine Development.
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
i know what all these people are trying to say, but i want all things in 1 simple file.

I want to make it c++
Maybe you need a bit more practice with C++ then before you attempt it?
There are lots of tutorials that explain it, but as far as I know, none that doesn't require some effort on your behalf.
I just need to get that book (programming isometric games with directx 7.0), everyone says that is basic, but I can't get it

I have to import from US to netherlands, and have no creditcard, only amazon has it :(:(
Quote:Original post by Ghostlike
I just need to get that book (programming isometric games with directx 7.0), everyone says that is basic, but I can't get it

I have to import from US to netherlands, and have no creditcard, only amazon has it :(:(

Go down to your local bookstore. I'm sure they wouldn't mind ordering it for you. Or contact the bookstore at some of the universities in the Netherlands, they usually have such books, or they can get it for you.
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
Quote:Original post by rohde
Go down to your local bookstore. I'm sure they wouldn't mind ordering it for you. Or contact the bookstore at some of the universities in the Netherlands, they usually have such books, or they can get it for you.

that's the problem, the universities here haven't got it, and the book isn't printed anymore
If you do have the C++-knowledge "needed" to make a game then you won't have any major problems with those tutorials, if you don't have the "needed" C++-knowledge then I really urge you to practice more on C++, because games will easily start messing up if you aren't sure of what you are doing.

And really, there isn't much magic about ISO games, as basic as it gets? You draw tiles in two passes, first the floor, left-to-right, top-to-bottom, then you do the same thing again with all objects. Sure there are some things one should know, but I would say that there are tutorials to go around for that.

Once you know how to render things, things really aren't that complicated, and if you are going to make something out of the game, then you really need to be able to learn from many tutorials, as fast as things get slightly more complicated, there is one tutorial for each subject, meaning that you might even have to read 2 additional tutorials just to be able to understand the tutorial you were reading.

I'm not saying do or don't or what you should know etc, but have in mind that you really should know what you are doing, many just copy books right away and stand paralysed as fast as the example in the book doesn't work flawlessly (one should expect so). If you can't get the book, read the tutorials.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement