vc2005 beta2 - can't find windows.h

Started by
4 comments, last by Calin 18 years, 9 months ago
Hi, I've just done a reinstallation of windows, I've reinstalled vc2005 beta2, and also changed the settings as the vc 2005 (or platform sdk), web page says, but when I try to compile a program it says it can't find windows.h. I think (if it isn't anything else), it might be VCProjectEngine.dll.express.config file which I got wrong? If possible can any one post what this file should look like? I've just done a test with a console app, that seems to work ok, but as soon as I add "windows.h" to it, the same thing happens? ps, I'm also getting an error with xlocale?
Advertisement
Have you definitely updated and/or installed the platformSDK?

windows.h is a PSDK component - and the PSDK was a seperate download/install from the VS2005 beta's iirc.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Have a look at this article for more information on using the PSDK: Using Visual C++ 2005 Express Beta 2 with the Microsoft Platform SDK.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Hi, thanks for the reply, that page is the one I was working from, the only things I can think of are that I installed the psdk before vc2005, but on that page it says to install vc2005 first, the only other thing is that I've got step 3 wrong, which are the changes to VCProjectEngine.dll.express.config.
It all worked ok before, but that time the other (non sp2) psdk had been installed first, (before the sp2 one).

I did a search for windows.h, and it was in the psdk folders, when I did an #include, with the full path name, the compiler then couldn't find files that windows.h itself included, such as windef.h, I think maybe it can't find some sort of starting point, or something?
windows.h itself includes files, so you need to set up the paths properly. Installing PSDK after VS should have done this for you. I don't have that version of VisualStudio, but it's roughly the same in all.

Usually there is an Options menu option that will take you to a Project Includes. In VS2005 Beta 2 it's:
Tools (menu) -> Options...
Projects and Solutions -> VC++ Directories

Change the "Show directories for" to Include Files. Add a new one and give it the path to the PSDK include directory. Move it to the top of the list.

Change to Library Files and add the PSDK libs directory.

That should be it.
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
Quote: Usually there is an Options menu option that will take you to a Project Includes. In VS2005 Beta 2 it's:
Tools (menu) -> Options...
Projects and Solutions -> VC++ Directories

Change the "Show directories for" to Include Files. Add a new one and give it the path to the PSDK include directory. Move it to the top of the list.

Change to Library Files and add the PSDK libs directory.

In Visual Studio Express Beta 2 the option you are talking about has been removed. The only way to set the include directory path is by modifying the VCProjectEngine.dll.express.config file.

Edit: here is another way to add the PSDK Include directory:

http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2995

[Edited by - Calin on July 25, 2005 2:48:56 PM]

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement