Buying an Eclipse... :) what to do with it...

Started by
91 comments, last by sordid 18 years, 9 months ago
I'm going to throw spinners on my 92' Bonnivile.
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
Advertisement
300HP from just adding a turbo is very extreme. Most ricers have to dump a *ton* of money into a car to get those kind of numbers. The better choice is to dump that pussy Eclipse and get something with a V8. I used to have a '84 Impala ex police cruiser that I loved embarassing stickered/body kitted ricers with.

If you really want to soup up that car then you need to do some research. Its not really as simple as bolting on a turbo. Yeah you will see an increase in power but if you really want to get all of it you need to match the intake/exahust to handle the extra air even install a cam with a different profile to take advantage of the extra power. Hell probably need to look into changing up your suspension as well. If you can't transfer that power to the wheels then you will just go up in a cloud of smoke. Its all about the total package and not just buying parts because the box says it will make you go fast.
I drive a Subaru Outback Sport 5-speed. It has 165 hp horizontal 4 engine and like all Subarus, it has all wheel drive. It is not the fastest car on the block, but it does have nice acceleration. I have raced a few punks in automatics and won. The funniest part is that it looks like a grocery-getter being a wagon and all.

My advice (for what it is worth) is be happy in your car, and don't overcompensate. The women who go for guys in suped up cars are not worth being with. If you like your vehicle, you will be attractive to a person who tastes mirror your own.
[s]I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.[/s]I am a signature anti-virus. Please use me to remove your signature virus.
Quote:Original post by ktuluorion
Quote:Original post by capn_midnight
If you want your car to look fast (but subsequentially actually be SLOWER than stock), then go ahead and install the body kit and the doors and everything.

If you want your car to actually BE fast, then there are some very simple updgrades that are relatively cheap that you can perform for some major gains. Things like cold air intakes, high-flow air filters, cat-back exhausts, high-flow cats, and 4-2-1 headers. Even the oil you use (high quality synthetic) can have an effect on your car's power. All told, the price tag would probably be about the same for what you are looking to spend on the body kits, and add anywhere from 50 to 150 horsepower to the car.

Are you kidding me? I'd love to see how someone is going to get 50 to 150 hp from exhaust, CAI, cat, and headers.

First off, any decent exhaust will be like 400 bucks. 50 for a cat, 100 for the CAI, and 400 for the headers.

Not to be busting yer chops, but I think that your gains are off. I'm guessing the Saturn pushes like 170HP. There is no way he is going to show a 30% increase from those mods, let alone 150HP. Think about it, there are Supercharged LS1 trans ams that run around 500 HP. That's a 150hp gain over stock, and that's from a SUPERCHARGER, as well as exhaust and such.

If you want a fast car, honestly, you are better off getting something else. If you want to make it look good, fine, just please god don't get a fart can exhaust on it.
You know, I know better than that. I don't know what I was thinking. Thank you for the correction.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

I'm going to have to agree with power versus style.

I much prefer having a car that can get up and go over one that looks 'cool' or some other nonsense. Then again, I also need a *lot* of legroom ('cause of my damned long legs of course), so that rules out a lot of smaller vehicles.

Thus, I drive a '95 Bonneville, as it's one of the few cars (not SUVs or pickups) that I can fit in comfortably. Also, it's 3.8 liter V6 makes it take off pretty fast. While I'm not going to be outracing a Corvette or a Porsche, it does have a nice get-up-and-go (last I timed it, it was 0-60mph in 8 seconds), which fits my driving style quite nicely.

Fuel efficiency may not be the best, though one thing it does extremely well is coasting. I almost always have to brake coasting down a hill because of someone in front of me. My only gripe with it is the steering wheel being rather... thin -- which is easily solved by a thick steering wheel cover.

-Greven

*edit: fun link. According to that one a '95 Bonneville SE could do 0-60 in 7.1s and 1/4th mile in 15.4s.. and the SE isn't any faster than the SSE, which is kinda amusing comparing it to some of the other cars. It's certainly not the best, as the 95 Mitubishi Eclipse the OP is considering would easily beat it in acceleration (unless it was the standard GS model?) and quarter mile.

Quote:Original post by sakky
I'm going to put a fare amount of money into the car because I like Eclipses.

If you're going to put a lot of money into the car why waste it on a 10-year-old car? I know Eclipses are fun and all but I'm sure if you save a little bit more money you can buy a newer car that will last a lot longer after you sink money into it. I've had 3 Mitsubishis and they've all lasted aroud 10-12 years....this '95 seems to be about that age. I dunno...maybe the car you're looking at wasn't used that much in the past decade but it seems to make more sense to buy a newer car if you are really going to mod it and want to get your money's worth out of it.
You know, you may think I have to dump a lot of money into an Eclipse just to get a good car and I don't. Regardless of what some of you say, an Eclipse is a good running car. You get all scientific about if as if you have to program the fuckin thing. You think, well this guys sucks because he wants to pimp an Eclipse. Well, you suck then!

I don't need a super fast power hunger car. Maybe a computer like that, but not a car. All I want is something that looks nice, drives nice, sounds nice and that's it. I don't have that much to do with an Eclipse to get that any ways. I think a chick would rather go for a car that looked nice, then a car that looked like shit but was fast and probably the driver has an ego problem because he thinks his V8 is the best.

If that has the case, for all you shity-chevy fans, I don't car. Some of you are right, why have that type of car if you don't use the power? So why would I need an ultra power Eclipse. I was just randomly picking things that I think would be cool for an Eclipse. I'm not saying it's the first car of my choice I would take on race day.

Besides if I wanted a GM, that last thing I would choose is a worthless plastic toy corvette that can't stay on the road for what it's with. I don't need to spend 30+ grand on a car. I just wan a nice little car. Chicks dig nice little cars. that may also dig big fast cars, but if that is what I needed well....

I think I would use my father's TA. It's a special kind of TA, came stock with a 455 or something like that. It has tons of HP and pretty much waxed everything that cam up against it. Well, except the Celica. You may think that is odd for a Toyota Celica to be and Trans Am, but one could if had something like a 350 in it? And yes, mine does.

If you want to see pics of the Celica that has a V8, I can probably find some somehow, I'd have to send them to you because I don't have a web site.

Didn't have to do much besides modifying a little on the front end to get the 350 in their. It originally had the 455 that is now in the TA, then a 428 and now the 350. It's pretty hard to drive because if your to ruff with it you won't go any were. It just spins and spins. It was a nice car to take to the smoke show.

But my father has done a little mode work with the Celica. Both the TA and Celica and pretty evenly matched. On a hill, the TA would probably beat the Celica. But on a stretch, it wouldn't. Celica is to smaller car with small block vr. big heavy ass car with big block.
Take back the internet with the most awsome browser around, FireFox
sakky: you don't get the point. You're saying you want a nice looking car, we're saying the mods you're talking about will expressly defeat that purpose. Body kits are disgusting.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Lessons from the Ford Taurus.

"-Paint racing stripes on your car. Stripes cut through the wind like a bullet."
Well, it's my money and the kit is cheep so who cares. The kit doesn't even really modify that much. It adds like an air dam and some little skirts that sort of fallow the pattern. It pretty much looks stock even wit hthe kit.

Rate me dow nall you want, I don't even give a shit. I think it will look nicec and it's worth the money. What, $420 for a small kit. With the acr that is probably only going to be around $2000. So by the time I get the car and kit I have spent $2500 and the car looks nice.

Also, you may think body kits are sick, but that is what you think. It is not what I have to think. But I asked what you though becausee I wanted to here a little critisism. But not a bunch of posts that tell me I'm nothing but an idiot because I like an Mitsubishi or would like to spend money on one.

Say what you want, the body kit is not even a body kit really. All it has in an air damn skirts and a modified rear bumper that just smooths things out a bit. I think that kit looks nice and it't the best I've seen so far. The rest, more expensive ones like Combat or Bomber kits look like crap I think.

I plan on doing a little tune up on the engine when I get it just to help out anyways. New oil, spark plugs, plug wires, mofied chip, better throttle body & air filter and a but load of soap and degreaser. That right their should give me better performance. After I run though the engine and clean it. Also, the thottle body and air intake should add a little gain. The turbo may be a little much but I can find a similar to stock one that will give a nice boost.

The main reason why I want the mody kit capt. is because it provbides less drag. So the gives better handling and increase in gass milage. But a tubo would sorto f take car of the gas milage part.... But the kit only smooths things out a bit in the back and adds and air damn in front. I even has slot where I would probably (not sure yet) use ram air or something of the sort.

But the difter kit makes it look cool and is cheep and easy to apply plus it doesn and a tone of plastic that makes that care look like a dead fish.

Looky

See, that's not really doing a wholel to the car. I can't find the one I was looking at now. I can't remember what site it was on. But the drifter kit was like $410. I'll probably get the front & rear bumper only and forget about the skirts. That would drop it to like $350. With the tune up ont the engine and a little better tires and wheels I'll have pabout < $3000 into the car after I'm done. That's pretty damn good for a car that looks nice and will run nice.

Then it's just and paint job which I can get for about $300 frrom a guy I know. Then the stereo. I want 2 10"s because a friend of mine has two JL 10" w6s that have lasted him a long as time. He's had those things for about 6+ years now. I want to even things out and not just have a bunch of load bass so that's why I want pair 6x9s and 4 1/2 components. Just one 12" can't bea two 10s. None that I know of.

I'll get a little amp for the car and a good CD player. My friend has a similar set up in his truck. So that's why I want to get that beccause it sounds good and isn't over come with lots of bass. It's a little loud at times, but it always sounds good.

So lets recacl.... it's going to cost me about $3500 after the car is complete. That isn't bad for a nice looking & running car with a system. So in my eyes, it's perfect for me.
Take back the internet with the most awsome browser around, FireFox

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement