Felix Fox Finished (Thoughts wanted)

Started by
5 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 9 months ago
INTRO Hello again. Wendell Preston here, the somewhat of an indie developer trying to catch the eye of an admirable business (Nintendo). For almost a year now, I've been making demos starring a Fox dubbed Felix. Each demo I've tried different things and gained a lot of information, so I guess my attempts were not in vain. One thing for sure is, I won't stop trying so I'll probably be around for a while [grin]. THE PROJECT This time around, I tried a non-linear approach again to my beat em'up/platformer. I thought it was great during production but then I played it. Mediocre at best IMO. I didn't bother to make a tutorial because I realized I wasn't going to get anywhere with it so you can ignore the tutorial on the menu. I made the same mistake I did the first demo (everything before gameplay). It's Kinda too late to fix it so I could just hit my head into the wall right now but, meh, life goes on. Also as I did in the first, I left out music. I can't do music and for the second project I just used midis from vgmusic.com. I think many people would find that to be unprofessional so, vola no music. The project was kind of a let down but I think it showed me more doesn't make better. THOUGHTS All I ask of you is that I be rated (if it's not too much trouble) in Graphics, Gameplay, Characters, and Overall. A bad review is better than none at all. And any advice there is to offer would be appreciated. I'm going on a bit of a hiatus to recap so this would give me much to think about. All this work has fried my brain. IMPORTANT CONTROLS (Note: Everything is done in Gamecube scheme and is fully compatible with SmartJoy) -Press z or the E key to switch. -Press z when the action icon says info to grab information. -Press forward x2 to Run -Press Jump against the wall to wall jump, you’ll be using it quite a bit (Felix) -Use Wiley to pick up logs -Use the Keypad or C stick for the in game menu (Very important) -Not really controls but the screen must be cleared to proceed (How cheap right? sounded good at first) -Hold A or B to Perform a strong attack -Press R or W the key to Block -Press X or the a key to pick things up. NOT SO IMPORTANT CONTROLS -Hold L or the Q key and Press a direction to roll / back up (Note: Roll avoids punches, Backing up avoids kicks) -Press A & B for Special or Keys D & S -Press L to Block a Grab (Won't be using that much) -If you wish to learn anything else (You can play the second demo [Which had a tutorial] listed below) a bit of information is also on the options menu. DOWNLOAD (Second Project) http://anti.gruntwerks.com/Felix.zip (Latest Project) http://anti.gruntwerks.com/Felix2.zip FUTURE PLANS I've done enough to know that I won't gain renown by doing 2D games so I'm done with them. On my hiatus I plan to finish the truth behind the Felix series (which I've been oh so trying to avoid in games by coming up with dinky story lines!!!) and perhaps put more into series. During that time I'll dabble in the 3D arts and programming in preparation of my next project (If this doesn't get meanywhere [[grin] lol which I'm assuming!]). It may or may not be Felix oriented (although he was born and still is designed through three dimensions). I guess I'll wait and see. I wish a had an SDK [bawling]
Advertisement
I can't open the zip file (Felix2.zip). [embarrass]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Odd, it works just fine for me.
I think visual clarity would help this game. Right now I have two basic problems -

1)I can't tell what I can interact with. I know you have the words change under the health bar, but you need to do that where the player is going to be looking. The items you interact with should look different than the background as well. I also didn't recieve any feedback on some of the items, like the little red ball. I had no idea what that was.

2)Where can I move my character? Again, the backgrounds didn't help here because everything blended together. There was one section I thought was a dead end for a while because there was no path. Then I realized I could walk behind those trees. Same goes for the waterfall which I just walked into. I think the portals to the next areas should be clearly defined. It's perfectly ok to have hidden areas, but get the main sections working first.
Wendell, this is a substantial improvement over what you showed me last year. For a one-man project, it's very impressive.
屋根を固定するために何パンケーキそれは取るか。紫色、ヘビに足がないばい。
very pretty character graphics and funny gameplay which reminds me of the double dragon days. the background graphics suffer from the lack of quality tho, but, overall, it's very-very-very nice [wink]
Interesting game.
I did not know that you can go up or down to another area.
You could put arrows on those places.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement