Companies prefer DX over GL - should I switch?

Started by
29 comments, last by andrew_wardobe 18 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by deffer
Recently I began to look for a job in my vicinity. And while I noticed several offers requiring Direct3D, virtually none mentioning OpenGL. I have a strong feeling that this is not a coincidence.

I totally agree. I am not sure if it's because we leave in the same country but all gaming companies around (there are only few actually) use DirectX instead of OpenGL. ;)

Also, you've pointed out an interesting remark - in most of universities (at least in Poland) they teach OpenGL and no DX. Why is that so? Maybe because it doesn't change so quickly and is somewhat easier to learn?

Cheers!
___Quote:Know where basis goes, know where rest goes.
Advertisement
Although I am an OpenGL user, I though I should point out that it is possible to use DX on other platforms, even on Mac. The WINE project has created an emulation layer for DirectX on top of OpenGL, which seems to be fairly mature. Even if there is a performance hit from the added indirection, it seems fairly usable.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

The PS3 will use OpenGL ES and Cg
Quote:Original post by clapton
Also, you've pointed out an interesting remark - in most of universities (at least in Poland) they teach OpenGL and no DX. Why is that so? Maybe because it doesn't change so quickly and is somewhat easier to learn?

That's because most universities are not targeted at game development. While D3D is a semi-standard in the commercial game development world (and the reasons are more economic than technical), D3D is virtually non-existant in the professional graphics industry: CAD/CAM, industrial design, simulation and visualization systems, etc, all use almost exclusively OpenGL.

As about switching or not: it is irrelevant. A company asking for an experienced D3D developer, and denying an applicant because he knows OpenGL instead (or vice versa), demonstrates complete technical incompetence and probably isn't worth working with anyway. Unless a position has to be quickly filled in order to specifically replace someone else on a running project that uses a specific API, asking for a specific API-programmer is nonsense. A good OpenGL programmer can switch to D3D (and vice versa) in a couple of weeks.

Oh, and please let's not degenerate that into an API war.
And iD is not the only one using OpenGL in games. Every engine from Epic (every Unreal Engine, including the upcoming UE3.0) also uses GL because it can abstract it's renderer (it uses by default D3D). Why do you think they took less than 2 months to convert it to the Playstation 3.0? Chronicles of Riddick also uses a GL engine...
*/ last time i looked pc games sales were a minor player compared to console something like 80%-20%
*/ the ps3 will use opengl
*/ the analysts are predicting the ps3 to sell the most consoles in the next generation (like the ps2 currently)

do the math

*)im betting the ps3 is gonna do even better than what has been forecast, hell if the the ps2 can outsell the xbox 4->1 with weaker hardware, what its gonna do with the strong hardware this time around ps3->xbox360.
true its all about the games (not hardware), my counter to that is -> check the xbox360 lanch titles :) case closed
Quote:Original post by Yann L
That's because most universities are not targeted at game development. While D3D is a semi-standard in the commercial game development world (and the reasons are more economic than technical), D3D is virtually non-existant in the professional graphics industry: CAD/CAM, industrial design, simulation and visualization systems, etc, all use almost exclusively OpenGL.

CS departments at universities also tend to run operating systems that aren't from microsoft (mine used Macs for some of the intro courses, and UNIX for everything else). Also, if they were to use D3D the students are essentially forced to use Windows. With OpenGL, it doesn't really matter what OS anyone is using, as the code is portable across many platforms.
Why is it all about consoles all of a sudden? I can see no jobs in my vicinity concerning consoles whatsoever.

And to be honest, I don't know (in person) anyone not only programming a console, but even owning one (and I know a lot of people, like everyone ;)). I got the feeling, that it's generally the case on the continent, in the opposite to US. Or am I completely wrong?

------

Quote:Original post by Will F
Quote:Original post by Yann L

CS departments at universities also tend to run operating systems that aren't from microsoft (mine used Macs for some of the intro courses, and UNIX for everything else). Also, if they were to use D3D the students are essentially forced to use Windows. With OpenGL, it doesn't really matter what OS anyone is using, as the code is portable across many platforms.

That is partially true.
In my case, there was no specific course teaching graphics. I just picked a project, that involved some graphics, and I was forbidden to use DX because it was from small-fluffies.
"MS==evil, end of discussion. I have never used any of their products, but that I do know for sure."
I think some of them simply don't have a job outside of uni, so they don't know much about the market. The only thing they tolerate is "open-source" - hard to be surprised, this is school we're talking about - but that turned out to be their religion.

Ok, enough whining ;)

Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Consider the following and decide yourself:

with gaming in mind

XBox 360 uses DirectX
PS3 uses OpenGL
NVIDIA has excellent OpenGL support
ATI has very good OpenGL support

For the first game always don't bother your self and waste ur time in the software engineering and academic bullshits like portability and cross platform.
Just make it work under the only real OS in this world DOS 2005 or Windows XP if you like.

sticking with DirectX has nothing wrong. But sticking with OpenGL will not help as you have to use other DirectX APIs for audio and input unless u r not going to support Windows platform and hence not selling your games.

I'm sticking with DirectX!

you can't compare opengl to directx, only opengl to direct3d, directx is much wider set of network, input, sound etc..

and the best thing is - you can use all directinput and directsound and directnetwork with opengl.

edit: and ati's drivers for opengl are very poor, DOOM3 proves it.

Projects: Top Down City: http://mathpudding.com/

Quote:Original post by deffer
Why is it all about consoles all of a sudden? I can see no jobs in my vicinity concerning consoles whatsoever.

The playstation 2 has sold something like 80 million units worldwide, Xbox 20 million. That's a lot of potential customers.

Also the consoles are generally easier to do testing on - the developer knows exactly what hardware the player will be using. Where with a PC the game will be played on systems with vastly different processing speeds, RAM, video cards, etc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement