Just out of curiousity

Started by
13 comments, last by Drethon 18 years, 9 months ago
does anyone know any hybrid RPG/Card Games (if any exist) that were decent?
Advertisement
In what sense do you mean hybrid? Baten Kaitos for the Gamecube immediately comes to mind in that it used card game mechanic for resolving battles in what was pretty much a traditional rpg. Also Deadlands, the pencil and paper roleplaying game used poker hands to determine the results of many actions (though strangely enough, not poker games).
I never played it, but I heard that PSO: Ep.3 had some kind of card system for combat. You shouldn't take my word for it, though.

Why so disenchanted with the rating system? It seems a strange addendum to this thread.
Kingdom Hearts: Chain Of Memories for the Gameboy Advance used cards to fight in combat and do other tasks, though it seemed to play more like your run of the mill RPG game.
I can't believe no one has mentioned Etherlords I/II yet. That was a fun game.
Thanks for the names to start with guys. =) I'm mainly looking for the 'style' of card games for combat resolution (i.e. turn based, uses variables to calculate the final outcome, uses something akin to cards or replaces them with other functionality (cards, randomized options, etc.) etc.).

I realize I'm not being very clear, but I'm just looking for a gereral and it is hard to search on google for a concept. =)

@ICC
That is just my signature. I don't like the rating system. =)
There's a post in the Announcements board about an online card game being developed.

Here's a link

It's not finished as far as I can tell.
Lost Kingdoms is another fun card/action hybrid.

Also they made a few games out of Magic the Gathering. I'm not sure how far they strayed from the original rules.

And your sig about the rating system is pretty incendiary, you might want to tone it down a bit. You could at least save those comments for threads that are actually about the rating system.
If you aren't that intersted in RPGs in particular then you can probably add Metal Gear Acid for the PSP to the list as well.
Quote:Original post by pinacolada
And your sig about the rating system is pretty incendiary, you might want to tone it down a bit. You could at least save those comments for threads that are actually about the rating system.

For what it's worth, I totally agree with him :P

The rating system forces everyone to smile and shake hands like Wal-Mart employees. I prefer real personalities, and the freedom to express yourself without the threat of being branded negative by anyone with a conflicting opinion.

Sorry for the off-topicness.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement