[4e4] Game Download size

Started by
14 comments, last by paulecoyote 18 years, 9 months ago
I was just looking for opinions on what people think of as a reasonable size for the contest entry download. Are we talking 10-20 megs or 200 megs? My team and I are trying to get an idea of what we should aim for. Currently we are thinking our entry might weigh in around 120megs, but we are interested in seeing what the rest of the community thinks. If you were downloading a contest entry, what size is too big?
Advertisement
We expect a wide range of sizes for this contest, and today games can be a lot bigger then they used to be. However keep in mind that your game must be uploaded and downloaded over the internet, and will be one of many entries (upload is an important part - if your game is large [>50MB], I suggest you plan to submit it ahead of time).

If you can do it, the ideal entry size is 1-50MB (frankly I'd like to see the average size around the 50MB mark, since judges need to download and evaluate every entry in a short period of time). Entries up to about 150MB are fine as long as you take responsiblity for getting it uploaded on time (entry time is when the upload is *finished*). 150-600MB can be submitted, but I suggest you contact Kevin ahead of time (a few weeks before the due date). If you plan on creating something over 600MB you should probably contact Kevin about it now, or by September at the latest.
Wow, that big 'eh...

I think mine will likely be under 10MB.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Quote:The Rules Page
11. GameDev.net will not enforce a size limit on entries. However, please be reasonable. If you are concerned about the size of your entry, then please contact us regarding the size of your entry, and we will determine the best course of action for submitting your entry.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Mine may feature alot of music, so it might be pretty big but I would expect < 100Meg.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
Thanks for the quick answers.

Superpig, Yeah I saw the rule on the contest page but just wanted clarification on what would fit 'reasonable'.

Anyway, thanks guys!
Those sizes are huge, I'm trying to fit everything in 1,44MB...
Quote:Original post by paulecoyote
Mine may feature alot of music, so it might be pretty big but I would expect < 100Meg.
Storing music as 192khz stereo 16-bit pcm is a bad idea. Try using a compressed format such as ogg.

[Edited by - Extrarius on August 3, 2005 5:48:56 PM]
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
If you send us huge entries that are that way because of big wav files, you will lose points (modern games have more then enough CPU power to decode mp3/ogg music). Using wavs for smaller files (sound effects) would be fine, but the entries size should not be bloated from uncompressed file formats. The same can be said for BMP files too - don't include 100MB of textures in BMP format for your 5MB game.
Ill get to work on a JPEG texture loader then :-(

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement