Started by
13 comments, last by Nitage 18 years, 9 months ago
say i have a class like this:

template<class num_t>
class quantity
{
public:
    template<class result_num_t, class other_num_t>
    quantity<result_num_t> operator*(const other_num_t& other)
    {
         return quantity<result_num_t>(_value * other.getValue());
    }
    num_t getValue(){return _value;};

private:
    num_t _value;
};

Is there any way to get the compiler to deduce the return type of operator* ? Now I believe I could write:

quantity<A> a;
quantity<B> b;

quantity<ABproduct> result = a.operator*<ABproduct>(b);

but the syntax is horrible and I have to explicitly state the return type, which isn't always convienient (such as in compound statements). Note: I've got boost installed and I'm prepared to delve as deeply into template 'magic' as is needed if this is possible. [Edited by - Nitage on July 29, 2005 9:42:04 AM]
Advertisement
No, it's not possible. C++ will not do type deduction on the return type of a template function.

Edit: what you can do is return a type the relies on both types, like make a template type
template <typename A, typename B> ProductType
and return that or a type typedefed inside that type.
Any way around this or recommendations on how I could improve the function?

At the minute I'm just using the tpye of the left hand argument.

As an aside, is there a proposal to change this in C++0x?
AFAIK, there are no plans to change this in the next version of the C++ standard.
Ok - slightly different question:

If I have two types, say A and B, is there any expression which gives me the return type of A*B?
Quote:Original post by SiCrane
AFAIK, there are no plans to change this in the next version of the C++ standard.

I thought the 'auto' keyword was being thought about for this exact reason?

auto iter = myvec.begin();

The compiler has enough information, it just doesn't expose it through the language right now. This is one of the proposals that had a lot of support last time I checked. Has this changed? Also I haven't read it entirely, so I'm not sure if it includes templated functions or not, but as the types are replaced at compile time, I can't see how template functions provide any more of a problem that a normal function.
--Michael Fawcett
Quote:Original post by Nitage
Ok - slightly different question:

If I have two types, say A and B, is there any expression which gives me the return type of A*B?

I'm using an older version of something that was in the boost sandbox for that, but I think it's been replaced by boost::mpl. I currently use something that looks like this:

boost::result_of_plus<A, B>::type
boost::result_of_multiplies<A, B>::type

and you can specialize the result_of structs for your own custom types as well. If you'd like the header I can send it to you, but it did not make it into any official boost release. Again, I think the functionality got folded into boost::mpl. Someone else may know for sure.

Here's an example (It's pretty ugly though).
template <typename LHS, typename RHS>inline typename boost::result_of_plus<LHS, RHS>::type	operator +(const LHS &lhs, const RHS &rhs){	typename boost::result_of_plus<LHS, RHS>::type nrv(lhs);	nrv += rhs;	return nrv;}
--Michael Fawcett
Quote:Original post by mfawcett
Quote:Original post by SiCrane

I thought the 'auto' keyword was being thought about for this exact reason?

auto iter = myvec.begin();

the OP doesn't want the assigned-variable to be dependent on the function's return-type, he wants the function's return type to be dependent on the assigned-variable. more like:

auto my_function(int a)
{ ... }

Object b = my_function(3);

where my_function would somehow know to return a type 'Object'.

even if possible through some magic, i believe this would violate the more fundamental rule where a "over-loaded function cannot differ by only its return type."

illone
illone
Quote:Original post by illone

the OP doesn't want the assigned-variable to be dependent on the function's return-type, he wants the function's return type to be dependent on the assigned-variable. more like:

Yes, of course. My misunderstanding.
--Michael Fawcett
When num_t, result_num_t, and other_num_t are supposed to be the same you can ditch result_num_t, and other_num_t and just use num_t.
It wouldn't even need to be a templated function, only a templated class.

But if you want to be able to multiply a 'quantity' by a 'foo_bar' then just write an explicit operator function for it and make foo_bar a friend, again without templates, making the return type obvious.
So basically you have to specify a * operator function for each type you can multiply 'quantity' by.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement