Slight pause between first key press and holding down

Started by
3 comments, last by okonomiyaki 18 years, 8 months ago
I'm using DirectInput, but I'm assuming this problems comes from the way Windows handles key presses. In Windows, if you hold down a key, there is a slight pause between the first key press and the repeated presses resulting from holding it down. In my game, I'm suffering from this problem. How do bypass this? I am using DirectInput, and I thought DirectInput would totally bypass the Windows Message Pump mechanism. Evidentally it doesn't. Seems like you'd have to use something totally different to retrieve keyboard input, such as SDL, which I don't really want to do... I've read something about this somewhere, but I can't come up with anything. I'm not exactly what keywords to use while searching also.
Advertisement
In all my Direct Inputting i have found that there is no gap.

ace
DirectInput does not go through windows. A key is either down or not, no pause.

Perhaps you should post your code? I have no idea why you'd get a pause other than a really crappy framerate.

Also SDL is a wrapper over the windows message pump(or at least it seems like it), so that definatly isn't going to solve your problems.
Great!

And strange.

That's what I thought, and I'm glad to hear it. I'll figure out what I'm doing wrong then. Thanks.
Mistaken use of GetMessage instead of PeekMessage.

damn things they call functions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement