Starting out with DarKBasic or C#

Started by
7 comments, last by ukdeveloper 18 years, 8 months ago
If you had no experience in programming and wanted to learn programming and how to develop games, would go start with DarkBasic or DarkBasic Pro, and evolve into C++, or jump right in learning C## and picking up 3D, AI etc later? Thanks
Advertisement
I'd say Dark Basic pro or something like that if your just starting out.
Belive it or not...this is C++....
Darkbasic/Pro will get you your game if you are new, but C# or C++, and then learning 3D graphics programming and using APIs (DirectX, OpenGL, etc) will benefit you more in the long run.
If you don't feel like learning all kinds of math, and just want to make games quickly, go with Darkbasic. Maybe Pro, but I'm not sure that it's as beginner-friendly as Classic.
____________________________________Spazuh- Because I've had too much coffee
I'd say C# because many things will carry over to C++. For instance, C# derives from C++. Therefor, it took C++'s features and expanded on it. It gives you access to many key elements of C++ including operator overloading and pointers. Also, it has close integration to Windows (if that's your OS). What you learn in C# will carry over to C++. DarkBasic doesn't, and any form of Basic has been known to confuse programmers when they start C++ later, and probably much more error-prone with the transition. I've known Basic fans who dropped out of C++ because it was too hard. They conditioned their mind to only work with easy solutions to projects. At any rate, both languages are good to learn, but C# makes the transition easy, and you can use C# later for many future jobs as well. Good luck!
Sorry I misread. I missed the part where you said evolve.
In that case, it would probably be better to gr straight to a C-based language, practice, then jump into Win32 programming. After that you'd be ready for an API.
____________________________________Spazuh- Because I've had too much coffee
For some reason, whenever anyone mentions DarkBasic, a hockey game comes to mind.

My recommendation would be to use either Visual Basic .NET or C# as DarkBasic is a pretty restrictive language in terms of opportunities in the future. C# is a very clean language, and with the power of the .NET framework, it becomes an amazing utility to create almost anything. You might want to check out SDL.NET, a powerful library that wraps SDL into a CLS compatible class library.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Have you looked into python? You could use Pygame with it. Then when you want to move on to c++ one day you find it easier and you could also know a bit about sdl.
not tried it but blitzmax looks good. blitzbasic.com
Quote:Original post by Rob Loach
For some reason, whenever anyone mentions DarkBasic, a hockey game comes to mind.

Hee hee

(he had 2 other hilarious threads, I won't linkify them here).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement