another compiler question...

Started by
4 comments, last by llvllatrix 18 years, 8 months ago
Hey guys I have been through a few compilers over the past few months. So far, my favorite has been visual studio express beta 1, however, beta 2 I can't seem to get working despite the fact that I have done everything the article says to do in order to link the platform sdk with it. Mingcw is a good compiler, but devC++ (ide) is kinda crappy (I just don't like how the automatic text formating and member browser works). However, other than that, I think it's stupid how you have to use .a libraries vs standard .lib (sometimes you can't get the C++ source with various sdk's out thier, only the .libs and headers which makes it impossible to use with mingcw). On this note, I had to actually include GLFW.dll into my project workspace before it worked. Beggers can't be choosers, and right now, I don't have the money to buy a commercial product. What are you guys using? Thanks a lot. ~Jay
Advertisement
I've spent the past few days getting into SCons:
http://www.scons.org/
Okay, so its not a compiler, but I think it's worth mentioning :)

Cheers,
- llvllatrix
looks pretty cool. How has your experience been with it so far?
In the Dark Times that VS 2k3 is not available to me (like right now, long story), I use the Visual C++ 2003 Toolkit with the Code::Blocks IDE. (I keep MinGW installed, since Code::Blocks can configure it automatically. Who knows when you might need GCC for some reason.)
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Wow, thanks a lot promit! I installed codeblocks, mingcw and visual toolkit and have been playing around with everything. The ide interface is very clean, it has a bunch of great tools and wow! now ill just have to figure out how to link my various sdk's with it and i'll be set. Thanks again!
Quote:
looks pretty cool. How has your experience been with it so far?

Really good; its basically makefiles done with python. The syntax is clean and readable, unlike the typical makefile nonsense. Best of all, SCons is scalable to make doing stuff like build farms easier. Still have a lot to read though.

I'm trying to move away from prepackaged IDEs and try to create my own toolset. Right now I'm writing a few python/vim scripts so that I can call SCons through VIM. I'm also going to try to integrate a CVS like subversion into the mix.

Cheers,
- llvllatrix

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement