Eternal damnation.

Started by
609 comments, last by Fruny 18 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by fisheyel83l
@Sneftel: If God didn't care one way or another, then neither would I. Similarly, if God thought that jumping up and down on one leg was a sin, then I'd try not to do it. Thankfully, the God I know isn't that arbitrary, or fickle.

While I find your values odd and a bit offensive, I also find them extremely interesting. I really wasn't expecting that answer. smart_idiot raised a good point about Abraham and Isaac. In what way do your values and Abraham's values differ, such that your reactions to the situation of "god telling you to kill" differ?
Advertisement
One more time, so I'm very, very clear. The present has value in light of the present and the near future. I never denied that. All I'm saying is that in the distant future the value disappears completely along with any purpose we might think we serve.

You can stop defending they way you value your life. That's fine. But you have to concede that in the long run you're not effecting anything at all. All the pain you felt, or caused; all the joy, whetever...it never happened. It simply did not exist. Your entire existence can be compressed into nothing. That's the point I want you to concede. If experiencing joy in the moment is enough, then good for you. In the long run, your life has absolutely no consequence. That's all I'm saying.
Tolerance is a drug. Sycophancy is a disease.
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
@Sneftel: If God didn't care one way or another, then neither would I. Similarly, if God thought that jumping up and down on one leg was a sin, then I'd try not to do it. Thankfully, the God I know isn't that arbitrary, or fickle.

While I find your values odd and a bit offensive, I also find them extremely interesting. smart_idiot raised a good point about Abraham and Isaac. In what way do your values and Abraham's values differ, such that your reactions to the situation of "god telling you to kill" differ?
God telling me to kill, and God not caring are two different things. There's essentially only one sin: disobediance. If God tells me to kill, then I should. On the other hand, if God doesn't care, then it's the equivalent of nose-picking. Is it "right" for me to pick my nose? Is it "wrong?"
God telling me to kill, and God not caring are two different things. There's essentiall only one sin: disobediance. If God tells me to kill, then I should. On the other hand, if God doesn't care, then it's the equivalent of nose-picking. Is it "right" for me to pick my nose? Is it "wrong?"

Yes, I think that I was unclear there. Let me clarify. You said before that if it didn't matter to God whether you killed someone, it wouldn't matter to you whether you killed them. So from that, I can assume that if God actually ORDERED you to kill someone, you still wouldn't mind doing it. Yet Abraham, ordered by God to kill Isaac, certainly didn't want to. Why the difference of opinion?
If experiencing joy in the moment is enough, then good for you. In the long run, your life has absolutely no consequence. That's all I'm saying.

But that's just as true for a theist. If you are going to live forever, then what you do now, at this moment, has absolutely no consequence, because at some sufficiently distant point in the future the last ripple of any action will come to rest. That's what infinity means.

In any case, why this desperate need to have a meaning to your life? Slow down and enjoy an orgasm or two, that's meaning enough for any sensible person.
To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
I wouldn't want to kill my son either. There's an emotional attachment. Sometimes God is prone to testing those kinds of attachments so we can realize how we value things relative to our relationship with God. We're supposed to value nothing more than God. God doesn't say that we can't value other things, like our family...just that we have to value him more. Abraham passed the test.
I know public radio is really dorky, but I figure I can safely talk about it on an internet forum dedicated to video game development. lol

I live in Minnesota, and we have a really great public broadcasting service. They had this segment on NPR's "This American Life" show in June.

It's an hour long show, but if you have the time to listen to it, I think it would be really rewarding for anyone who cares enough to post in this kind of conversation.
XBox 360 gamertag: templewulf feel free to add me!
One more time, so I'm very, very clear. The present has value in light of the present and the near future. I never denied that. All I'm saying is that in the distant future the value disappears completely along with any purpose we might think we serve.

You can stop defending they way you value your life. That's fine. But you have to concede that in the long run you're not effecting anything at all. All the pain you felt, or caused; all the joy, whetever...it never happened. It simply did not exist. Your entire existence can be compressed into nothing. That's the point I want you to concede. If experiencing joy in the moment is enough, then good for you. In the long run, your life has absolutely no consequence. That's all I'm saying.

Of course, I'll conceed the general idea of that. Your phrasing of the exact situation is distorted though. For instance, "all the joy, watever... it never happened." It did happen. It's happening now. Of course it happened.

If time is forgotten, and doesn't matter in the future, it doesn't mean it didn't matter at the time.

Let's say, hypothetically, that I place value on something. I value something you can never value, such as one of my own thoughts. It will never matter to you, but that doesn't mean it doesn't matter at all.

So too, can something matter at one time, but not matter at another. Do I conceed that yes, there will come a time, when what I value will not matter? Yes. But I feel like you are not recognizing that what I value still legitimatly matters now. And will matter for the complete entirety of my existance (which I beleive is about the same length of time as your existance.)
You've been misrepresenting my arguments since you got here. I clearly stated that if you do something 5 minutes ago that everyone forgets about, INCLUDING YOU, then it has no value. You brushed over that point as if I didn't raise it at all, when it's crucial to my stance. Certainly, if you remember doing it then it can be argued that it has value. But if no one remembers it, or the consequences, then it has no value. Period.

Perhaps if you explained yourself better your arguments wouldn't suffer from supposed misrepresentation. Is it possible that a person can remember doing something five minutes ago and yet not regard it as important?

That's analogous to a finite existence. If everything you are and do can be compressed into nothingness, how do you value existence?

Ok. Now you're getting somewhere. You didn't need to lay out that "five minute memory" stuff, which made no sense and which everyone rightly overlooked.

I think that existence can be valued in too many ways to succinctly answer your question. Take that as a cop out if you want, but I'm not participating here to provide a testimonial, just to say that I think it goes too far to say that recognizing a finite existence means that existence can't be valued or a morality adhered too.

... any philosophy that includes a concept of eternal existence is more rational than one that doesn't.

You'll have to make an effort to prove that assertion. Such a philosophy is certainly more idealistic but not necessarily more rational.

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Quote:Original post by King of Men
If experiencing joy in the moment is enough, then good for you. In the long run, your life has absolutely no consequence. That's all I'm saying.

But that's just as true for a theist. If you are going to live forever, then what you do now, at this moment, has absolutely no consequence, because at some sufficiently distant point in the future the last ripple of any action will come to rest. That's what infinity means.

In any case, why this desperate need to have a meaning to your life? Slow down and enjoy an orgasm or two, that's meaning enough for any sensible person.
Eternality opens up a new set of possibilities. If heaven affords me an eternal memory, then I can still ascribe value to what happens in the distant past. Or, if my actions can be recorded for all of eternity, then maybe when the universe re-Bangs itself, the new humans can read about my life and it can influence them. There are a million possibilities, and theistic ones only represent a subset. The point is that your consequences CAN matter.

Personally, I don't think the consequences matter at all. Paul said he learned to find joy in the good times and the bad. The obediance matters, because 1) it's what I was designed to do 2) it pleases an eternal God, and 3) it might result in another person showing up at heaven's grand opening.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement