How to start

Started by
3 comments, last by Toolmaker 18 years, 8 months ago
Hello, I'm kind of new. I wanna know on how it should go for OpenGL game programming learning step by step... C, C++, Programming Windows, Linux, Mac, & OpenGL? Right now I'm on C & C++, just want to make sure I'm going the correct steps for now. These are the steps to learn C/C++ OpenGL programming? Mind telling me what you did inorder to where you got to programming on OpenGL? Plan on takeing school for this, right now I'm reading books and trying to understand what to do and how to do it. Thanks for your help...
Advertisement
First, make sure you are good at C/C++, then you can move to rendering API(OpenGL/DirectX).
Well, first step to get started is learning a programming language, which you did. It's the first step, and C++ is a proper choice for OpenGL.

Basicly, any platform can run OpenGL applications, so it doesn't matter what platform you choose. And, you should be on your way learning OpenGL either from a book or from NeHe here at GameDev.net.

Nehe is considered one of the best tutorials avaliable on the net on OpenGL, so you're best off learning for there if you don't want to spend too much money.

Toolmaker

Ok thanks guys.

So basically your telling me I dont need to know Windows, linux, or mac programming for opengl? OR I could just choose one?

Correct me if im wrong.
No, OpenGL is cross-platform, and you can perfectly use it across all OSes. Most OpenGL games(If written properly) allow you to recompile it to a different OS without too much hassle.

There is no need to learn specific OS related topics, although it might be easier in some cases. If you're currently using Windows, stick to Windows, and later on learn some ways enhance cross-platform support.

Eventually, you'll need to know some OS specific stuff, esp. when it comes to input.

Toolmaker

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement