RTS: - Interface

Started by
5 comments, last by Daniel Miller 18 years, 8 months ago
Has the interface in an RTS ever limited your enjoyment of the game? If so How? and Why? What sort of control or functionality have you always wanted from the main interface? A few ideas I've had thus far are: -Unit list which can be used to select and focus on any unit. -Easy to use Filters on the unit list which allow sort, and hide units by a verity of criteria such as show only units on screen or only units involved in combat, etc.. -Unit hierarchy; able organize units into different levels of unit clusters, and be able build and replace units as cluster instead of as individual units. -Able to set unit behaviors. Such as search and destroy, explore, or to use abilities automatically.
Advertisement
I could think one off the top of my head right now. I have seen alot of RTS games where you CANNOT group your units into numbers. This completely ruin the experience for me because I can't simple click on a quick key and get a group of units selected immediately. Usually I have to go search for them and select them with my mouse. This waste me alot of time and it is really annoying. I would really appreciate if game devs would implant that in their future games.

I concur. Group quick keys are pretty important.

Group limits also suck.

Beyond that, just the general limitation that the UI can never provide all the information I'd really like [seeing combat results for 2 areas for example] or all the control I'd really like [accurate, speedy, well timed attacks/movement/abilities]...
Wow that would be kind of interesting. Hitting the c button opens up a second camera on your current screen and the input is displayed on your mini map (which is usually at the top right corner of your screen). That way you can move from that area and still see from the mini map :P... I suppose the camera could go away once you press on the "c" again... =D
Take a look at some screenshots of different titles, such as:

Warcraft III
Diablo II
Command and Conquer: Generals
Rome: Total War

I'd recommend making the menu on the bottom, but for the most part, do what you think is good
---------------------------------The Shadow Sun - Want Your Writing Exposed?
Split screen view is an interesting idea. Anyone here used blender? it lets you split the screen in to parts. So what about it would people like to be able to divide the screen into up to 4 parts? I can't imagine that it would overly difficult technically to implement this.
In Broodwar, you can't rebind keys. This results in akward keystrokes (6a7a8a).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement