Skyboxes or Skydomes

Started by
17 comments, last by k00k 18 years, 8 months ago
Nope .. and I even used there script with terragen to create my own skyboxes and I get the same results. im just wondering now .. dont we need to set in our engine before we do the effect rendering the "SetTextureStageState"? if so how do we go about doing this i belive the code snip from msdn is something like ..

g_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_ADDRESSU,  D3DTADDRESS_CLAMP );g_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_ADDRESSV,  D3DTADDRESS_CLAMP );

but im not sure if this is nec. to get it to render considering im setting it in my effect file which is done during the rendering. if anyone can throw us some bones i would much apreciate it :[]
Advertisement
Yeh I set those before rendering the skybox as I'm using FF, and I don't think you have to because you're using shaders. I used their terragen script too and got the same problem...so it could be a slight problem with their script? I haven't found any other decent hi-res textures online to try either.
well we could test this by simply creating a solid color texture and rendering our cube with that. instead of using there cut out images. but i really dont think that is the problem. but hey could be anything .. its friday and i will most likely be getting wasted playing with this so ill be sure to post if i figure out what this could possibly be causing it. :0 thanks again for the response and have a great weekend if i dont talk to you.
Well I've tried resizing them to 512x512 thinking 768x768 could be causing probs but no. I've tried converting to .dds thinking .jpg could the causing probs but no. I've tried using different textures, a random .dds ground texture from the nVidia texture samples, and there are no visible artifacts!

But that's pretty useless as I don't want grass for a sky.

Maybe I'll take a look at skydomes...
When setting the texture coordinates for your skybox, use .002 instead of 0 and .998 instead of 1.
could you explain that a little better? set that where ..
All the triangles you are rendering for your skybox have texture coordinates. They are probably (0,0),(1,0),(1,1)... etc. The (good) advice above is to slightly modify these values. You must be setting up texture coordinates SOMEWHERE or your texture wouldn't show up!

Post your code where you set up your geometry/vertices/vertex buffers if you still aren't sure... the texture coordinates (u,v) are a member of each vertex.
Thanks, that solves the weird lines, but now means the textures don't line up properly so you can see where they meet.

I reckon I'm gonna have a stab at skydomes anyway 'cos they'll be better for moving clouds and sun which I'm eventually aiming for.
Well I was using a .x cube mesh but i guess I will just manually create the vert's and indice's myself and see if that fixes this .. ill let you know know what i make out. thanks for the help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement