• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
C plus noob

This is How To Setup Direct X With Dev Cpp

This topic is 4835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i had about a good month of trouble tryin to Setup Direct X with Dev Cpp, but thanks to ace_lovegrove i found out how. im writing this to help other people that are in the position i was in. FIRST: Yes you do need the SDK you can find the latest one at http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx/directxdownloads/ i got the Redistributable the update and the Run Time (different page go to popular downloads) SECOND: Here is the part were most people discourage Dev
Quote:
i heard Direct X is hard to setup with Dev Cpp
not true.... open up the update DO NOT BOTHER WITH THE LIBS THAT COME WITH THE SDK! just worry about the Include folder open it and copy all the files into your Dev Cpp Include Directory (C:\Dev Cpp\Include) unless otherwise installed. EDIT: when you get the headers i use x86 some people use x64 though now in the SDK find Samples Then open C++ Then Direct3D then Tutorials then Tut 01 or sumthin get the .cpp file copy the contents THIRD: Sart a new windows project open your project options go to paramaters under linker type -ld3d9 in the box. Compile it Note: the reason i said to ignore the SDK's LIBS is because Dev came pre-installed with the libraries and can be found in the Lib Directory of Dev Cpp under the form lib(name of the library).a so d3d9 is libd3d9, how i did it with the linker is simple -l means its gonna be lib sumthing in the Lib folder of Dev d3d9 is the library so -ld3d9 searches for libd3d9.a in the Lib Directory of Dev Hopes this helps, Richard

Advertisement
This is so helpful, thank you!

As of right now, I'm around the 20th meg of 220.39 for the sdk, and i was wondering how i would pull this is off, but Im going to try this first.

Thanks again.

Which version of DirectX did you download and what version of Dev-C++ do you have? (Or what version was the DirectX DevPak?)

Quote:
Original post by deadimp
Which version of DirectX did you download and what version of Dev-C++ do you have? (Or what version was the DirectX DevPak?)

Latest Beta Vewrsion of Dev Cpp (version 4.9.9.2) it comes installed no DevPak currently Availiable but if it needs to be updated (DX of coarse) most likely BloodShed will place it on th update list for download

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!