I have the coolest idea for an MMORPG, but...

Started by
29 comments, last by Lucky Ace Card 18 years, 8 months ago
haha, no, this isn't one of those topics that says "I have an idea for an MMORPG but I can't program. Help!" I just wanna know if you think this will work out. Read the whole thing though. So, I have an awesome idea for an MMORPG. I've been thinking of it for about a year, jotting down pages of notes, sketches, etc. It's unique, it hasn't been done before (to my knowledge, and I'm an MMORPG nerd. =P), but I can't explain it here. I don't wanna throw my ideas out there for everyone. So, I'm learning to program. My dream is to go up the ranks in the game designing world, slowly. Y'know... Become a hobbyist programmer, eventually work full-time for a company, make some games tha actually get shipped. Finally, when I'm an actual game designer, and then when I have the proper funds, I can fulfill my dream. My dream being that MMORPG! Do you think this is a good dream to have? Or aiming way to high? (I'll still be jotting down ideas for the game throughout my career.)
Advertisement
No problem with having a long long long term goal like that. Just don't count on it as your sole source of motivation.
Heh, no, it's not my only source of motivation. It's not even a main source.
My motivation is the fun of it all. I love the whole field of Computer Science. All aspects of programming, like AI, engines, everything. Not just programming, but graphics too.

But enough about my love for Computer Science. The MMORPG isn't a main motivation. It is ONE motivation, but not my main one. It is basically like the finish line for me.
I won't finish when I get there, but it's just how I see it from here. Hard to explain, but I think you get the point.
Not that I'm in any place to give advice here, but one suggest I can make is to not be so afraid of pitching your idea. Everybody has too many ideas already to go stealing them from other people. The bonus of you pitching the idea is that A) outside feedback is completely necessary. without it, you'll create crap like matrix revolutions and B) you might actually get other people interested in working with you on it if it's that good.

Good luck with your dreams either way. Your idea of working for an actual game company first is certainly a good idea.
-------------------------------See my tutorial site: Click here
Yes, AaronCox, I agree with you about sharing the idea. That way, people can suggest things to make it a better game. However, I'd rather share it later in my career when it comes time to start hiring and all that. That way, it's an even more developed idea, and (like you said) anyone that wants to help me make it can actually help! If someone now was like "That's a good idea, I wanna help." I would have to say no, because I'm not ready for it to be put into motion yet.

Know what I mean? It's complicated... I just feel safer with it private, anyway. Until the right time.
Haha, yeah I follow ya. I guess it can be bad luck to talk too soon anyways. Most of my ideas vanish into thin air when I start talking about them without doing them.
-------------------------------See my tutorial site: Click here
And besides, it's not COMPLETELY restricted to me. My brother is also wanting to enter the Game Design career, and we want to be partners when it comes time to make that MMORPG. So we've both been jotting down ideas, and correcting/adding on to eachother's ideas.
Quote:Original post by aaroncox1234
Not that I'm in any place to give advice here, but one suggest I can make is to not be so afraid of pitching your idea. Everybody has too many ideas already to go stealing them from other people. The bonus of you pitching the idea is that A) outside feedback is completely necessary. without it, you'll create crap like matrix revolutions and B) you might actually get other people interested in working with you on it if it's that good.

Good luck with your dreams either way. Your idea of working for an actual game company first is certainly a good idea.

Agreed. There were some initial ideas I had for my game that I thought were absolutely incredible. They made sense and as far as I knew, were original and unique concepts. But after sharing my ideas with others, we collectively realized that many of these features were not that great at all. My blind ignorance into thinking that these ideas were perfect inadvertently hid some obvious and critical flaws. Now as soon as I have an idea I think will be good for the game, I post a topic about it on our forums right away (either privately within the staff or publicly depending on what the idea is and how much feedback I want on it).

I suggest you not let the same happen to you, especially if you are going to be your whole MMORPG success on a single idea you think is the pinnacle of perfection. But there's no use worrying about any of this at all until you actually start making that MMORPG. Good luck [smile]

Hero of Allacrost - A free, open-source 2D RPG in development.
Latest release June, 2015 - GameDev annoucement

Yeah, Roots, I know what you mean. But like I said, I just feel safer talking about it in a tighter group of people. I mean, I'm sure nobody would steal any ideas from me, but I just don't like the thought of it being possible.

I'd rather wait for the right moment. For now, I can keep it between me and my brother, and close friends. Eventually, I'll share it.
But like you said about me thinking it is the pinnacle of perfection... When I first come up with my ideas, I think "Wow, these are flawless." After the idea is developed, I get into reality and review my idea, then ask myself if it would really work. If yes, I keep it. If no, I get rid of it or change it to make it work. Then I do another reality check. =)
So, I'm trying not to be ignorant, like you said. That could be a big mistake, so I'm trying my best to stay away from that error. It helps to have input from a brother, and a couple friends.
I also agree that you don't have to be so secretive about your game idea. Unless your idea really is the next Tetris, it's very unlikely that someone will steal your idea. Even if someone else gets inspired by your vision, it will likely be totally different to you had in mind. Obviously don't give everything away, but an overview would't hurt and will probably help. I've been listing some of the ideas behind my current game in these forums and gotten some great feedback in return.

But back to your dream; that's a good dream to have. I had a similar dream back when I was a younger, although mine was the more general dream of making it as a game designer (I had about a dozen great game ideas I wanted to implement, so I didn't mind which one I used [smile]). Still have that dream, actually, although I'm going about it a bit differently these days.

Be warned that your dream mightn't go the way you planned. For me, my path went more like: become a hobbyist programmer, eventually work full-time for a game company, get burnt out on my first title, get disillusioned and move to academia (of course now I'm thinking about trying again [grin]). I hate being negative, but there's a good chance something similar might happen to you before you get a chance to be a designer. But you might as well try; just don't pin your entire livelihood on making it (for example, at least I've got some programming and teaching qualifications to fall back on if I have to).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement