Publisher Costs

Started by
2 comments, last by Obscure 18 years, 8 months ago
How much does it cost for a publisher to publish an already completed game?After covering the publishing costs, how much of the sales do they take and how much would the developer actually see? Thanks! Darkan
Sir Darkan Fireblade
Advertisement
From what I have heard you may see 10-15%.
I think the 10% number is when the publisher fronts development costs (even when that up-front investment is recoupable from royalties). If the publisher has significantly less risk, (and significantly less money they're losing interest on), you might be able to get a slightly better cut -- at least you'll be negotiating from a stronger position.

However, the key word in that phrase is "slightly".
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Again you really need to provide a lot more specific information to get useful answers. What quality level of product are you talking about, budget or full price. If full price is it really Triple A quality or just an A or B title? Are you talking retail or on-line? What formats, what territories? - All of these things will make a huge difference to the costs.

On the % front the developer will get the % the product deserves and they are able to negotiate. The deal might be a one off up front payment only or anywhere between 10-35% depending on quality, track record, negotiating skills etc. - As an example I am negotiating a contract at the moment where the publisher funds everything and the dev gets 25% - but the dev has a good track record, the game is great and the publisher really wants it.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement