A text MUD that I think game designers should play/look at

Started by
14 comments, last by EdR 18 years, 8 months ago
This text MUD has been the most successful MUD in the past 8 years. It is a veeery complex game. LOTS of combat skills, unique PvP system, complex laws, and many more. You should read the Features page on the homepage. The address is www.achaea.com and the game is called Achaea. I think this game is great for designers to look at because it is so unique and complex. Many designers should strive to make their games unique, so they stand out. Achaea, as complex as it is, offers a newbie support channel with almost 24/7 help. Whenever an admin can't help, another player always can. This is another feature many designers should take note of. Most people look over the fact that the learning curve of their game could be keeping you from getting new players. This encourages new players. I suggest a lot of designers check this game out, and maybe even play it, because it is a lot of fun.
Advertisement
Uhm almost every MMO has a help channel...whether its outside the game or inside the game itself. EQ1 had this from release.

Im wondering what game you're playing and need help in that youre not getting to suggest this. o_0 ?
Alfred Norris, VoodooFusion StudiosTeam Lead - CONFLICT: Omega A Post-Apocalyptic MMO ProjectJoin our team! Positions still available.CONFLICT:Omega
As a MUD, Achaea falls flat. I've been MUDding since about the age of six (GemStone III! Hooha!) and tried Achaea somewhere around two years ago.

Put simply, it sucks. The "help" channel, I found, was filled with sniggering old-time players who were condescending at best and outright insulting at worst--and there were no administrators telling them not to be assholes to newbies. The "unique" PvP system is woefully unbalanced and encourages griefing to no end. Its complexity is not designed to enhance playability, it's designed to be complex. These "laws" are sporadically enforced by players and the game system.

There are thousands of MUDs out there; I've found maybe a dozen that are good. This one is not one of them.
http://edropple.com
I left after ten minutes when I tried that a few months ago. Good games are easy to learn and hard to master, not the other way around, and above all they are FUN!

You want to see a good mud. Try LORD or Legend of the Green Dragon.
Gemstone IV now :). Played it back in '95 or so and got back into it a couple years back. That is a great game in my opinion and Dragon Realms by the same company is pretty good to.
- My $0.02
Quote:Original post by Drethon
Gemstone IV now :). Played it back in '95 or so and got back into it a couple years back. That is a great game in my opinion and Dragon Realms by the same company is pretty good to.

DragonRealms was never as playable as GemStone III and Modus Operandi. But I played it when I was 9, so it may just be my memory.
http://edropple.com
Dragon Realms is extremly confusing to learn since it uses words instead of numbers and you have to learn the words to know how baddly you are really hurt, etc. I do like from Dragon Realms how if you want to get better at something you go do it, instead of only hunting to gain experience. Gemstone is definitely more playable though.
- My $0.02
I am looking for a good mud to try as a first. Do you have any suggestions other than the ones listed (or even a preference of the ones already?)

I like a game that is casual. One that I can put down if I need to go change the laundry etc. I also would like one that has things other than pure combat.

Any suggestions?
[s]I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.[/s]I am a signature anti-virus. Please use me to remove your signature virus.
Quote:Original post by Thermodynamics
I am looking for a good mud to try as a first. Do you have any suggestions other than the ones listed (or even a preference of the ones already?)

I like a game that is casual. One that I can put down if I need to go change the laundry etc. I also would like one that has things other than pure combat.

Any suggestions?

http://lotgd.net
Lots of MUDs and reviews here.

Years ago I played on Realms of Despair, and liked it. But I just don't have the time to play anymore.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement