IDE Hard Drive 'Tricks'

Started by
20 comments, last by Don Carnage 18 years, 8 months ago
Raid isn't going to work if your hd's are of different sizes. IMO lvm, logic volume management, is your best bet. As far as I know it only works under Linux and it may be a bit difficult to set up, especially if your not used to Linux.
Anyway here is a how-to:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by tstrimp
Can anyone tell me why anyone would do this rather then just right clicking on My Computer and selecting Manage? That sounds a lot easier to me. (Then select Disk Managment)
I never use the desktop for anything, so didn't know you could do it that way. You can get to it some way if you add Administrative Tools to your start menu as well.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Quote:Original post by benryves
Quote:Original post by tstrimp
Can anyone tell me why anyone would do this rather then just right clicking on My Computer and selecting Manage? That sounds a lot easier to me. (Then select Disk Managment)
I never use the desktop for anything, so didn't know you could do it that way. You can get to it some way if you add Administrative Tools to your start menu as well.

Yeah, but that clutters up my start menu. [wink] I've got the minimize to desktop on my quicklaunch for a reason.
win-d is my friend. [smile]

but i thought that you could RAID different sized disks, it would just limit the size the size of the smallest disk.

RAID 5 a 40 gig, 60 gig, and 80 gig, and the controller would just treat it like three 30 gig disks.

lot of wasted space but possible in a 'pinch'.
Quote:Original post by kryat
win-d is my friend. [smile]

but i thought that you could RAID different sized disks, it would just limit the size the size of the smallest disk.

RAID 5 a 40 gig, 60 gig, and 80 gig, and the controller would just treat it like three 30 gig disks.

lot of wasted space but possible in a 'pinch'.

I found a bug in your program. Your min function is not returning correct values.
dammit, i was wondering why everything in my life was screwing up these days.

phew! now i can relax.
You don't need a CDROM drive. OpenBSD installs from a single floppy, and you can always put in three hard disks, install your OS, and then take out the CDROM drive and add the last hard disk.
I dont know if you were addressing me or not, but I was planning on using Win2000 pro...
Quote:Original post by benryves
Quote:Original post by CosmoKramer
About XP having overhead from the GUI - I really hate that whole fisher-price look and yes it can cause noticeable slowdowns on older computers. But anyway you can turn that off very easily, which is what I always do.
It's not just that. Even with all the GUI elements set to the lowest quality (no fades, no shadows, no screen font smoothing) XP hobbles along on a 450MHz machine, whereas 2K flies on a 166MHz P1 with all the eye-candy on.
Regarding SCSI, I guess I'm just old fashioned. [wink]

Is it still that slow if you set the theme to Windows Classic?
Dynamic volume info. "A spanned volume is created from free disk space that is linked together from multiple disks. You can extend a spanned volume onto a maximum of 32 disks. A spanned volume cannot be mirrored and is not fault-tolerant."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement