Maggots

Started by
38 comments, last by CosmoKramer 18 years, 8 months ago
My parents are away at the moment, and before they left my mother made a sort of chicken casserole in the slow cooker. They left on the morning of Saturday 13th; I had some on Saturday evening, breakfast on Sunday, lunch on Sunday, supper on Sunday. By this point I'd had just about all I wanted, and I was out late on Monday, so it just got sort of.. left there. Fast forward two weeks, we finally realise that we ought to dispose of it before they get back.. and it's moving. Drop the lid back on sharpish, move the slow cooker outside, and squash the couple of maggots that managed to escape onto the kitchen worktop. Anyone got any ideas for what I should do now? I'm thinking boiling water might work well. Gonna don some boots (and ideally rubber gloves, but we don't seem to have any) and go out there with a kettle, pour it onto the lid and hope it's not down airtight. If it is I'll have to lift the lid a little. Hopefully that'll kill them off, through burning or drowning, and then I can just tip the whole mess into the bin. Don't know if the slow cooker will still be usable afterwards though. So yeah. 10:30pm now, and I think I'd better clear it up before I go to bed because my parents get home tomorrow. Anyone got any advice on tools or strategy? Is the slow cooker likely to be recoverable?

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
I had to deal with a lotta maggots in my last job, definitely not pleasant creatures. Maggots aren't easy to drown from my experience, i had to deal with some semi submerged maggots before (in bathtubs, lake, etc.) and they were alive and well. But you gotta kill em somehow.

and for gods sake don't keep the slow cooker :(
If I make the decision to consign the slow cooker to the garbage, it gets a lot easier as I can just dump the whole thing in there. The lid is on so the maggots are more or less contained. Can just stomp on the rest :)

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

By a large tupperware container, dump the contents into it, then microwave it on "High" for 10 minutes. I"m sure this'll kill something :P GL
Bleach works pretty well.
Why not keep the slow cooker after cleaning it with boiling water and disinfectant and emptying it of the maggots?
"I want to make a simple MMORPG first" - Fenryl
no i dont expect them to drown either. i dont know what a slow cooker is precisely, but it implies cooking of some sort. id advice to use its cooking capabilities first to loosen/sterilize the insides, dump the remains, then repeat the process a couple of times with some strong cleaning agent. i do not imagine the maggots have done any irreversable damage, but if youre unlucky it also has had to put up with some yeast(?), which might cause permanent stains to the inside.
boiling water and dish soap or comet works wonders.

Maggots are not the big concern in this situation, they are just fly larvae (and actually fairly clean critters considering... ever heard of maggot therapy?). The big issue is the rotting food in your slow cooker.
man, just throw the thing away, seriously. ugh
a) dig a hole
b) dump the contents of the cooker in it
c) fill up hole
d)...
e) profit
"It's better to regret something you've done than to regret something you haven't done."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement