I'm searching a graph algorithm

Started by
29 comments, last by samv 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi, what is the best algorithm to find the value "how many nodes (steps) away is a specific node (the smallest possible number of steps)" for each edge of a graph? This specific node is known before the algorithm. I would use a breath-first to find the nodes. And then for each found node use another depth-first to find the shortest way to the specified node. But maybe there's a better way. Bye Chris
Advertisement
Hi,

I would really like to help you, but I don't seem to get what you want to do.

Okay, I hope I got it right.

Why don't you make a breath-first from the specified node and mark on each other node who far you went.
Eachtime you visit a node (since it's a graph you check if the node was visited or not) and if it was not visited set the current distance.
“Always programm as if the person who will be maintaining your program is a violent psychopath that knows where you live”
You can probably use a variation of Dijkstra's Algorithm, where the edge weights are all one.
@dragongame
I think this would only tell me how much steps behind the specific node is. I want to know the number of steps to the specific node, if I go foreward.

Ciao
Chris
@C0D1F1ED
This would'nt work either I think. Dijkstra tells me the shortest path from node A to any node. But I want to know the shortest path from any node to A. It's the reverse problem.
Ok,

so you have a directed graph?
If so you could still use my allgo by just inverting the direction.
because then all nodes that are just 1 step away from the special node will get a 1 and all nodes that are 2 steps away will get a 2 and so on ...
you could even save the path as a stack

EDIT:

just read the post above (I'm too slow :-)
“Always programm as if the person who will be maintaining your program is a violent psychopath that knows where you live”
Since I'm assuming this is just a simple graph, I would say that the best thing to use would be iterative-deepening search. An iterative-deepening search is a depth-limited search that increases the max search depth by one until the goal node is found or no new nodes are searched. It is faster and less memory intensive than breadth-first, and it is more reliable than depth-first search.

Unfortunately, you haven't defined the problem well enough that I could give a specific implementation that would be the fastest for your needs. If you need to know the node distance of every node from the starting node or the graph is static, then it would probably be good to maintain some sort of structure with that information in it. If the graph is not static and you do not need to know the node distance of every node from the starting node, then you would need to run the search each time, get the path, and note how many nodes are contained in that path. Knowing what type of graph this will be used on would be very helpful too.

This is just from general CS knowledge though. If you need the supreme best method devised to this date for your specific problem, then you will probably need to do some research.
Quote:Original post by Zoomby
@C0D1F1ED
This would'nt work either I think. Dijkstra tells me the shortest path from node A to any node. But I want to know the shortest path from any node to A. It's the reverse problem.

If it is true that for every node k, the adjacent nodes of k are also adjacent to k and have equal cost (an equal-cost path exists in both directions), then Dijkstra's algorithm works. If not, you'll need to be more specific about your situation.
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}
Quote:Original post by Zoomby
@C0D1F1ED

This statement is very confusing. What do you mean with 'any node'? Clearly you do not mean an arbitrary node B, because Dijkstra would work for that.

Tom

EDIT: wow, beaten by like 5 posts. I most be the slowest guy on earth :)
@dragongame
So I have to use a Dijkstra or other shortest-path algorithm with every node? Then the whole algorithm would be nested breath-firsts (one breath-first to find each node, and another Dijkstra breath-first for each found node) as I described first. Is there a way to do it using only one pass?

Ok, I'll try to draw the problem :)

Consider this graph:
A -> B
B -> C, A, B
C -> A

Each edge has a variable which should tell the number of steps to, say A.

So after the alogrithm the graph should look like this:
A -> B(2)
B -> C(2), A(1), B(2)
C -> A(1)

The numbers tells for example: I am currently visiting node B, if I choose edge C I have to do 2 further steps to come back to A.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement