ps3 crushed my spirit

Started by
25 comments, last by maverick20 18 years, 8 months ago
ouch, anyone see the ps3 previe wof killzone, the graphics, wow, that just makes me want to forget about making games :( now, no onw will buy a game that is ps2 or xbox graphics type game :(
Advertisement
I just made a space invaders clone that runs on both windows and on the Dreamcast. I know nobody will ever play it but hell, it was fun to do.

Make games for you, not for anyone else (unless it's your job to..)
Quote:Original post by Avont29
ouch, anyone see the ps3 previe wof killzone, the graphics, wow, that just makes me want to forget about making games :(

now, no onw will buy a game that is ps2 or xbox graphics type game :(

A lot of demos at E3 (including Kill Zone) used CG instead of actual gameplay. I wouldn't get discouraged, as those games are very much the product of team effort and multi-million dollar budgets. So don't think you have to be that good. For indie developers it's a labor of love.

The PS3 isn't due out till sometime in 2006 (might even get delayed to 2007) and the market for PS2 and Xbox games is still quite strong. Traditionally however summer seems to be a bit of a dry spell in new releases. Both the PS3 and Xbox 360 are suppose to be reverse compatable with previous versions (the PS2 and Xbox respectively). While there is a lot of hype about graphics, it means little without game play. If you have a good game I think you'd be forgiven for the less detailed graphics. It will take developers a little while to learn how to take full advantage of these new systems so some of the first titles from these system will likely end up looking like they should be on the PS2 or Xbox.
Patrick
Gameplay is more important than graphics...well, unfortuanately not in terms of sales
PS3 is said to have a very high-end graphics card with 512 megs of VRAM... but the 360 is said to have a dual processor system. My inference is that the XBOX is going to way more realtime and realistic, but maybe not the best graphics. The PS3 will have good graphics, but I don't know how it'll do on other areas.
We should do this the Microsoft way: "WAHOOOO!!! IT COMPILES! SHIP IT!"
Quote:PS3 is said to have a very high-end graphics card with 512 megs of VRAM... but the 360 is said to have a dual processor system. My inference is that the XBOX is going to way more realtime and realistic, but maybe not the best graphics. The PS3 will have good graphics, but I don't know how it'll do on other areas.

The PS3 has the cell processor. I'll just use the same strategy last last time, wait until it gets cheaper. A lot cheaper.
Quote:Original post by Avont29
ouch, anyone see the ps3 previe wof killzone, the graphics, wow, that just makes me want to forget about making games :(

now, no onw will buy a game that is ps2 or xbox graphics type game :(

Depsite the fact that the Killzone footage was only CG, and not indicative of the PS3s graphics capabilities- I know how you feel.. Every time a fancy new game engine arrives I'm half in awe, and half terrified!

I'm starting a 4 year gameDev course this september and I'm seriously worried that I will not be able to keep up with all the developments that are going on in the industry- its changing that fast..
Technology is constantly changing. It doesn't matter if you're making games, office apps or manufacturing cogs. The facts of life and education is that you're never done learning. The most important lesson to learn in school is "How" to learn. Once you can teach yourself new things you can always keep up with the latest things.

The constant change is what I love about technology. I'd be bored to death working in a job that was the same day in and day out for the next 40 years.
Quote:Original post by dbzprogrammer
PS3 is said to have a very high-end graphics card with 512 megs of VRAM... but the 360 is said to have a dual processor system. My inference is that the XBOX is going to way more realtime and realistic, but maybe not the best graphics. The PS3 will have good graphics, but I don't know how it'll do on other areas.

On paper the PS3 would appear to have the advantage over the 360 in both graphics and processing power, with the PS3 having a 3.2Ghz main processor + 7 (seven) additional 3.2Ghz processors (SPEs), as well as very fast (3.2Ghz) memory, compared to the XBOX's just having 3 (three) main processors.

How these will compare in real word performance, we will have to wait and see, but I suspect for the first generation of games are least, the performance will be fairly close, until the developers get the hang of jugling 8 processors at the same time on the PS3.
Did they ever release high definition videos of the tech demos that they were showing off for the PS3? I wouldn't mind seeing the Killzone video in high-def, even if it is CG...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement