I need an appetizing SDL GUI. Any recommendations?

Started by
9 comments, last by d0hboy 18 years, 7 months ago
I need a fairly easy to use SDL GUI system. Mainly just text input, buttons, and menus. I'm using dev-cpp, and using c++. I would REALLY prefer if it was a devpak, because I have never yet built a library from source, and I am terrified to try :) This is for an Othello clone, and I would really prefer to not have to struggle through making a whole GUI system myself when the game is practically finished already. Anyways, any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks a bunch.
my siteGenius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration
Advertisement
Here's a list of GUI's

http://www.libsdl.org/libraries.php?order=name&category=14&completed=0&os=any&match_name=&perpage=50
Someone should make an SDL rendered for CEGUI if there isn't already one.
Quote:Original post by programering
Here's a list of GUI's

http://www.libsdl.org/libraries.php?order=name&category=14&completed=0&os=any&match_name=&perpage=50

Yep. I've already looked through these. As I said before, though, I really need a devpak of one of them, because I have no idea how to build libraries from source. Unfortunately, the only one that provides a devpak from their site, Guichan, didn't work correctly at all.

Anybody have any other ideas?
Quote:Original post by DrEvil
Someone should make an SDL rendered for CEGUI if there isn't already one.

I know this is post kinda old, but there's not one for SDL, but there is one for OpenGL though SDL: Using CEGUI with SDL and OpenGL.

If you want to give SDL_GUI a try, here's the binary for it for MingW (.a and .h). I don't know how to use it, nor know of any tutorials, but you can play with it to see if anything works. Just note it needs SDL_ttd and SDL_Image as well.
Feel free to take a look at the GUI I made for Jooleem. It's not as flexible and complete as real GUI libs, but on the other hand you can just copy a few files and compile them into your project. No libraries other than SDL and SDL_image required.
Currently, it supports the following elements:

• Buttons - With a text or image face. The buttons can handle mouse over events, and have tooltips.

• Text boxes

• Labels - Either text or an image.

• Progress bar

• Window - This is a "fake" window, not created by the OS. It can contain any of the UI elements.

All of the elements can be seen in this screenshot:
Jooleem. Get addicted.
Oh wow, that looks great! I'll definitly give that a try and get back to you on how it worked. Although I should make my own GUI first...
Thanks, Drew. :)

Although the look has very little to do with the UI code. The elements are skinned using plain old PNGs, which can easily be replaced.

I'm looking forward to hear how it worked out for you.

I forgot to mention that my GUI is truly cross-platform, and uses no OS specific code. The game looks identical on every system it is compiled on. The screeny in my previous post is from a Windows machine, and here is a shot of the game running on a Mac:
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Writing your own GUI can be a lot of fun, but it is time consuming and not always very rewarding.
Jooleem. Get addicted.
Holy crap! I didn't expect this thread to keep on going. That's just awesome. Well, let me give some of this stuff a try and, after that, start networking my game!

And before you flame me, it's a board game, the game is done, and I really want to try networking something.

Thanks a ton!

Edit: You write nice-looking code. Easy to read. I appreciate that =)

Edit 2: And your game looks very snazzy. I think I'm going to use this UI, if that's OK with you. Awesome.
I'm flattered. :)

Sure, go ahead and use the UI code. Just note that it's licensed under the GPL, I hope that is not a problem for you.

Also note that the code was not designed to be a library, so while I don't think there is a lot of Jooleem-specific code in it, there just might be.

Good luck with your project, and if you have any questions regarding the code, feel free to email me at braudo at users.sourceforge.net. I'm looking forward to see what you come up with. :)
Jooleem. Get addicted.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement