coder's block?

Started by
4 comments, last by DrewGreen 18 years, 8 months ago
I've been doing a lot of practicing with OpenGL. Basically, I've just been making little demos showing what I can do with it. I've coded lots of things from simple particle "engines" to MD2 loading and even a little GLSL. I think I'm ready to make a simple game again. The last real "game" I coded was an asteroids clone. The only problem I'm faced with is what to make. I've been pondering this for weeks now. I obviously don't wanna be set on making the next best FPS or MMORPG. :-p I realize I gotta start small. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
A game like Donkey Kong would be good experience. Or a side-scroller game.

I don't know your experience with programming or if you want to make a more graphics entensive game.

My next project is a side-scroller game similar to Super Mario Bros. I don't care if I finish it though because I just want to learn some C# while making it.
Maybe a 3D miniature golf game?
What you need is to get started on something. It doesn't really matter what. So make a list of 20 game ideas. Just very general ideas for example: "Old school horizontal shoot'em up" or "tetris-like puzzle game". It's a lot easier to come up with 20 ideas than just one as they don't have to be the greatest. Now assign numbers to your list and take your 20 sided die (or random number generator) and let fate decide.

Now that's the part where you have to be strong and accept the result. It's better than doing nothing and feeling bad about it isn't it?
You could always try GameDev.net's contest here. Even if you don't plan on entering, it gives you a few ideas of what you can do.
My favourite way of getting ideas is to play some old games you used to be addicted to & remake them, adding your own touch in the process. My first remake was a game called Blob Kombat on the Amiga. (Couldn't find any screenshots but you can find .adfs & there's also a poorly done flash version around on google). I'm currently redoing Zeewolf 2. Reason being as a lot of these old games are simple, fun & won't take up your life in doing them. If you can faithfully reproduce the gameplay in the process it's been more than worth it.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mindkiller. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn to see fear's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." ~Frank Herbert, DuneMy slice of the web

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement