anyone posting demo's?

Started by
11 comments, last by paulecoyote 18 years, 7 months ago
I was just wondering if any of you are gonna be posting demo's to your entrys before sending them off. Like maybe at the end of september post a small demo so you can get some people to test it etc. I don't know if some of you would think this is bad as it lets the others see exactly what your game is like and you might be worried that someone could steal elements (although I don't think this would happen). So is anyone gonna be doing this or have done already? I am thinking about releasing one so I can get others to give me feedback etc.
Advertisement
We are considering a mid-October demo release, but it really depends on how things progress over the next month.
I'd encourage people to post demos; it helps you get your game tested on a variety of hardware, as well as helping you measure how strongly the elements are being conveyed and which areas you need to focus on improving.

Of course, if you have to choose between making a demo and finishing on time, well... [wink]

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

if I get a qualifying game together I'll be posting a demo to make sure it works on a multitude of systems. I wouldn't have found out about a chipset versus OpenAL issue without testing on a few different boxes.

I doubt the demo will be together much before the deadline though.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
We'll probabably make a demo of some sorts, although I'm not sure we'll show it here.

If we were to let you download and play the game, would that mean that the judges would do it? I guess it has both good and bad things to it - it'd mean that you knew it ran on their hardware (or not), but at the same time would they not be as "surprised" when they got to play it when the judging began. I mean, a lot of fun in a game can be in the first hour when you're learning to play it, especially in the smaller games that are released for contests.
------------------"Kaka e gott" - Me
No, the judges won't be playing any demos ahead of time.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

ok. :) good to know.
------------------"Kaka e gott" - Me
That is useful info.

I definitely plan to recruit some testers; in fact probably could do for stability testing now. But theyu wouldn't be testing much apart from - does it run without crashing?
Whether a public demo is released is less likely - I'll need every minute to polish the final version without wrapping a demo too!

I wouldn't worry about ideas being stolen too much - by late September the only people able to implement your ideas in time are those who are good enough to have already made something better! Apart from small touches anyway.
I had the opportunity to test the base of someone's engine (I won't say the person's name in case he/she doesn't want me to tell). I also had someone test what I have running so far (BSODII). Perhaps I should start the 4E4 unofficial testing thread...
I'd be happy to give people's demos quick test spins. I can't spend hours everyday doing it (if i had that much time I'd be entering myself), but I can say "yes it qorks" or "no it doesnt work" or comment on UI's and such, or even gameplay to a point, just not 3 different builds a day.

Relevant stats if anyone is interested:
AMD XP 2400+
1gb mem
geforce4 ti4400 (128mb ver)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement