Gamedev Game Writing Competition - Round 1

Started by
42 comments, last by sunandshadow 18 years, 7 months ago
This sounds like a lot of fun! Unfortunately since I've been suffering from writer's block on the introduction my research paper for the last couple of weeks, I'd feel too guilty if I wrote an entry right now.

But I'm looing forward to reading through all the entries! Maybe I'll jump in with one of my own in Round 4, when I'll have the time (and no need to feel guilty!)
Advertisement
Is this an introduction to the game concept, an introduction to the story that the game exists in, the introduction of the story itself, or what?
Trapper Zoid :
don't worry mate! We are all in the same boat, and I am pretty sure that's the whole point of the exercise. Although I must say so far I am not terribly excited with my own ideas :-/
I know why I was asking for a more narrow topic than "The coming storm", but still, it's a nice theme, so I hope I can come up with something at least nice to read, even if not oozing with originality...

Beige : I am pretty sure it's an intro... whichever way you look at it [grin]
Quote:
Quote:me
"climax, denouement" ? Uh? Are we talking about the final scene in the game, or the cinematic sequence (like the one at the end of WarcraftIII)? Again, I assume be can be as technical as we want, I just want to be sure of what we are talking about, here.

TechnoGoth
A bit of both, really. Basically how does the game end. If there player enters a portal and has a climatic battle with a hundred hell beasts rescues the princess and then retires to a small country side town and runs a fish and chip shop then tell me that. In the way you feel is most effective.

Philippe
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Quote:Original post by Beige
Is this an introduction to the game concept, an introduction to the story that the game exists in, the introduction of the story itself, or what?

The first round task is to write the introduction to a game. The introduction is what happens when the player first starts the game. It might a monolog or narration, it could be a short game sequence, or something else. The first round is interested in the writing aspect of the games introduction, so there should be little or no technical or design infromation in the entry.

I've submited mine already... I had a few ideas and I just started writing until I found it was in an acceptable form.

Well... I still have to write more... I got plenty of ideas :)
Quote:“Entirely original” covers both plagiarism and intellectual property you don’t control. Since if you where doing this for a company you most likely won’t have access to another company IP you should not include anyone else work with in your entry. So this means you can’t submit a story about Mario Link battling against Hiehachi’s Nazgul hordes.

So, you are saying that you can't have Forest law facing Wario's Luigi clone in the Land of Microsoft in a Street Fighter tournament, with an Iron fist?
Or zelda hacking and slashing through Doom's grunts with a GunBlade while catching Pokemons in the Mushroom kingdom?

Well, I'm fresh out of ideas then... :P

P.S. - Someone is going to sue me!
LOL, I dunno why, but I think you would like something like Namco X Capcom. A tactical RPG crossover... looks brilliant.
Now I wish more companies beyond the Japanese would do crossover like that. And on the PC. Oh yes, I can see the possibilities [grin]
Well there are less then 3 days left in the competition and already I have received a couple of entries. Hopefully there are will be many more to come.

Some people have asked about what I am looking for in terms of a submission for round 1 so I thought I would try and clarify. A game’s introduction is the part of the game that occurs from the time the player press new game until they are playing the actual game. Different games do this part in different ways in some it is a cut scene, some times it a short level, or a combination of the two. In all instances the introduction sets up the circumstances of the game and provides an initial goal. It should also entice the player with hints and for shadowing of what’s to come.

The purpose of the competition is writing as it applies to games so keep that and the previous paragraph in mind when creating your intros. And remember to ask yourself whether or not a player could from experiencing your intro directly into playing the game.
Haven't even started yet... [embarrass]
I've started though I have mixed feelings about what I came up with. Still have some work to do in refining my introduction. Hopefully by the time I'm finished I'll be satisfied with my writing, though that usually is never the case with me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement