Writing Competition 2005, Round 1 Entries

Started by
121 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 6 months ago
I can read what you're trying to say, but I won't understand it until I see it.

It sounds like something I'd like to learn, but it's like you're trying to put math into words. At least to me, it comes out sounding like any math book on the face of the planet. Like you're trying to read Portugese after you've studied Spanish. Like math, we(at least I) need to actually see it at work to follow what you're trying to say.

So.... write something that meets your criteria, or find an example that does. I'd like to see it.
grrrrr....grrrrrGGRRARRR!!!
Advertisement
Estok, are you saying that the round 1 entries should be scored additionally on how well the story works with the gameplay media?

I mean the unique characteristics that make video games video games, such as, but not limited to, interactivity.

If so, I want to redo mine, because I was going to do that :(
Re: GOR-GOR

No, the idea here is not new. It is the similar to what people write and post in MMORPG fansites. However, those do not demonstrate the property where the game mechanics is communicated before the reader had experienced the actual gameplay. Before I give you an example, I will tell you more about the motivation of this kind of writing:

Often times people post their story ideas expecting a positive feedback, however, the fact that the reader cannot imagine what the author is imagining makes the feedback disappointing. It often boils down to the argument: "well is may be a good story, but I don't see the fun playing it. Are you trying to write a story or to design a game? What you described doesn't convince me that it is going to be a fun game. Maybe you should just keep it as a story." This is not an easy argument to defend, the question is, is there a way to introduce a game in writing such that it serves as a demo of the game. This is a beneficial skill because it allows us to discuss the gaming experience before a demo is coded. This is a particularly valuable skill if you are from the lineage of writers instead of game designers.

When you read game webpage, and think: "well I can read about the features of the game all day long and I still I won't know whether the game is fun until I play it." Maybe you have detected a defficiency in the use of writing. Can that defficiency be fixed?

I don't have a priori skill in this area, but here is an example. If you are able to see the intended effects and how the following does not satisfy the intention, then you have what it takes to improve it:

Example

I didn't include any theme about coming storm because I don't want you to think that this is an entry. It is not an entry. I am not trying to backstab all the contestants. I am simply saying that there is another kind of writing that none of us might be thinking.

Re: Beige

I didn't say that the Round 1 entries should be scored differently. I was simply saying that there is another kind of writing that could be attempting. My argument was that the alternative writing makes a better introduction than any other form we have seen.
Quote:Original post by Beige
Estok, are you saying that the round 1 entries should be scored additionally on how well the story works with the gameplay media?

I mean the unique characteristics that make video games video games, such as, but not limited to, interactivity.

I re-read your post and I think that applicability meant "how well the story works with the gameplay media."

It means that someone reading it should be able to imagine to a degree what the game is about: "Is this an intro to a story, or an intro to a reasonable game?"

It is also a dilemma because you can make a game out of any subject. But if someone reads an entry and doesn't think that it belongs to a game, then either:

1. The gameplay implied by the entry is too alien
2. The writer of the entry didn't have the game in mind when writing the entry
3. The writer didn't draw enough connections that it is a game

I am wondering what TechnoGoth was thinking about it. It is the first contest, the rules aren't precise. There were more meaning to the word applicability, because it also includes how good a game the entry implies.

For example, if the entry implies that the player can do a million things but nothing coherent or in detail, than the entry is not as good as one that expresses the focus of the gameplay. This is a common flaw when people designed the story before the game: there are plots, twists, character dynamics and mystery, but none of them implement well in a game. It is like a movie hasty turned into a game. I think Applicability penalizes this.

This is why I think that the alternative writing style is favorable because it not only introduces the story, it also introduces the gameplay seamlessly.
Quote:Original post by Estok
Quote:Original post by Beige

I re-read your post and I think that applicability meant "how well the story works with the gameplay media."

It means that someone reading it should be able to imagine to a degree what the game is about: "Is this an intro to a story, or an intro to a reasonable game?"

It is also a dilemma because you can make a game out of any subject. But if someone reads an entry and doesn't think that it belongs to a game, then either:

1. The gameplay implied by the entry is too alien
2. The writer of the entry didn't have the game in mind when writing the entry
3. The writer didn't draw enough connections that it is a game

I am wondering what TechnoGoth was thinking about it. It is the first contest, the rules aren't precise. There were more meaning to the word applicability, because it also includes how good a game the entry implies.

For example, if the entry implies that the player can do a million things but nothing coherent or in detail, than the entry is not as good as one that expresses the focus of the gameplay. This is a common flaw when people designed the story before the game: there are plots, twists, character dynamics and mystery, but none of them implement well in a game. It is like a movie hasty turned into a game. I think Applicability penalizes this.

This is why I think that the alternative writing style is favorable because it not only introduces the story, it also introduces the gameplay seamlessly.

I think that some gameplay design needs to be a part of this contest, within the context of game writing, of course. It seems essential and inseperable.

The rules of the contest gave me the impression that this was Just Writing, Game Mechanics Need Not Apply Here.

I was, and continue to be, confused.
It isn't about game mechanics, but whether the introduction implies a good game. From the definition:

Quote:Applicability - How appropriate the submission is to the game medium and how good a game it would make.

The bolded part means that it is not just writing. The contestant has to have an idea what the game itself is about, and what the player will be playing. It is not just writing, but not to the degree where the contestants are competing on the game design. Compare the two examples:

1. An important document has been shedded. You are the secretary, and you must piece the document back.

2. An important document has been stolen. You are a special agent and you must retrive it from the enemy.

[Edited by - Estok on September 23, 2005 1:10:35 AM]
Well the results of round 1 are in and the score are as follows:

style	Creativity  Applicability Popularity Total1	5.0	  4.0	           4.0	     7.4      5.12	8.0	  6.0              8.0	     9.7      7.93	8.0	  8.0	           8.0	     9.4      8.44	8.0	  7.0        	   8.0	     7.4      7.65	9.0	  9.0	           9.0	     7.4      8.66	7.0	  7.0	           7.0	    10.0      7.87	8.0	  6.0	           8.0	     9.4      7.98	2.0	  5.0	           5.0	     6.2      4.59	7.0	  8.0	           8.0	     7.4      7.6

So the winner by a narrow margin is entry number 5!

To clarify the scores each catagory was judge as follows:
style - All entries started at 7 points and had points deducted for any grammer, spelling mistakes, or awkward wording, a futher 3 points where assigned based on the use of language within the entry.

Creativity - points where assigned based on how interesting and compelling the entry was, and the over all quality of the writing. 2 points where deducted if it wasn't clear that the entry used this rounds theme.

Applicability - 5 points where award based on how whether or not the rest of the game seemed interesting based on the entry. 5 more points awarded based on the formating of entry and whether or not it was formated as a game introduction.

Popularity - 10 points where award for the most popular entry the remainder of the entires where scored in relation to that entry.
please post the detailed critique for each entry so that we know how the evaluation was done for future reference. The result is unexpectedly short. Can se see the actual voting pattern?

[Edited by - Estok on September 23, 2005 3:34:27 PM]
And also, please reveal who wrote which entry.

I wrote #3. :)

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I wrote #7 :(

knew I should have revised it again.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement