Making an HTML-Based Game--Which Language to Use?

Started by
3 comments, last by JeremyWB 18 years, 7 months ago
Anybody have an opinion on which language I should use to make a web-based, multi-player strategy game that deals mostly with forms and html code? No graphics, all text. Players would only be able to take a turn every 10 minutes and the game would be played in a web browser.
Advertisement
In no particular order, and off the top of my head.
PHP, Perl, Java(servlets), JSP, ASP, Python. I know of sites that use C/C++ to generate html. I believe Ruby is also used to generate html.

As for myself, I would do it in PHP but mostly because I've worked with it the most for these types of applications. I looked up Java's servlets on a whim, and they seem promising, esp. if you know java already.
Perl is a fun language for that sort of stuff... /shrugs.
PHP is kind of the defacto standard for something like that, but if you want to learn something new pick up Ruby and learn you some Rails:

www.ruby-lang.org
www.rubyonrails.com

You'll be amazed at how easy web development is with rails. It lets you get to work on your application and takes care of the underlying crap itself (sql, server setup, etc).
Thanks guys. I did read somewhere that C++ and Python can "work together". I can't say I'm an expert or anything, but I would prefer to use C++. I don't mind learning a new language though. Whatever gets the job done.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement