Writing Competition 2005, Round 2

Started by
39 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 6 months ago
I'm sorry that I seem to be filling this up with my questions, but for a character profile is something like this brief description of "Sly" from Anachronox the sort of thing that's expected from a writer? It seem a bit short and not detailed enough to me, though.
Advertisement
Well, I finally seem to be able to connect to the internet again and so I can start answering peoples questions. There have been several questions on what is a character profile. So I found an internet site that describes it what one is and how to write one very well
http://www.writerswrite.com/journal/jun98/lazy2.htm
Take a look at it if your having trouble.

If you want to see an example of one then look below at one I wrote for a game I'm working on. I don't expect anyone’s to be exactly like it but it is more or less then kind of thing I'm looking for, all though feel free to be more or less detailed as appropriate. The purpose of this round is to show your ability to fully develop and plan out a character. Anyone should be able to read the character profile and know everything you do about the character as well as the part the character plays in the game's story. It is as much for your use anyone else’s.

As to how many words it should be I’m not really concerned about that I’m more interested in your ability to present the information in a clear and concise format. If that takes 100 words or 1000 doesn’t matter as long as the reader feels they have all the information on the character they need to know.

Sample Character Profile

Name: Shu
Birthday: February 29, 1992
Birth Sign: Pisces
Blood Type: AB
Secret Identity: Mech Pilot

Bio:
With her shoulder length blue hair, a white beret and round black glasses she is more at home hidden behind a book or her laptop then in public. With her pale complexion, petit frame and shy demeanor she’s often teased about resembling a damp mouse. Her shyness is never more evident then when it comes to men. She’s more likely to let out an “eep” and then hide behind one of friends then anything else.

Despite that when it comes studying or machines there is no better at the school. Her uncanny connection with machines and ability to build array of bizarre machines are what brought her to the attention of the Agency in the first place. After her recruitment she became the first pilot of the E-VanGelion an experimental giant robot she help complete.

Shu is currently excelling in math and science class but is close to failing art and gym. She is also the founding member and president of the robotics club. She is also a member of the library and archeology club.

Hobbies: Computers, building models, building machines, studying.

Relationships:

Hilda - Best friend of Shu since childhood they share an interest in old books and Hilda has always stood up for Shu when she wouldn’t stand up for herself.

Kara – More of acquaintances then friends Shu has always had a bit of crush on Kara with her carefree and aloof manor and she aspires to be just like her.

Elie – Shu and Elie don’t get along very well, Shu more then a little intimated and meek around Elie and Elie in turn tries to take advantage of Shu or tease whenever she thinks she can get away with it.

Tomoe – Shu has tried over the years to get to know Tomoe better but she always simply ignored Shu and remains distant and uncaring towards her.

Plot Points:

Introduction: Shu is the first character the player is introduced when they wind up sitting together on the bus to Cherry blossom vale.

Joining the Dorm: Shu’s room is destroyed in an unspecified “accident” during the first week of school and she ends up homeless, with no place to go she decides and ask the player to if she can move in to their dorm. After standing in the rain holding a suit case outside the player’s dorm for almost an hour trying to work the courage to knock the door Hilda shows up with a bag of her own and drags Shu to the door.

Episode One Personality events: If the player can raise Shu’s confidence high enough then when Elie tries to get Shu to write her history paper near the end of term then Shu will refuse and Elie will walk away in surprise.

If Shu’s athletic ability is high enough to allow here to finish the school mini marathon then Tomoe will congratulate her and tell her she’s come far.

Thanks TechnoGoth! Your sample profile seems similar to what I thought was expected.

Just an unrelated question that I've always wanted to ask: why is it that I frequently see people specifying a character's blood type in their bio? Is this part of some sort of personality profiling based on blood? I also frequently see people picking really rare types for their characters (like AB), which I find a bit odd.
As I understand it, it's popular in Japan, where the pop culture attaches more importance to blood type, like a horoscope or something.

How the heck are we supposed to do character interrelations when we're doing a sketch for a single character?
The Japanese have a mythology that bloodtype=personality type, similar to the western superstition that hair color=personality type. (E.g. redheads are tempermental, blondes are airheads, people with brown hair are quiet, etc.)

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Quote:Original post by sunandshadow
The Japanese have a mythology that bloodtype=personality type, similar to the western superstition that hair color=personality type. (E.g. redheads are tempermental, blondes are airheads, people with brown hair are quiet, etc.)

Thanks. I did actually read this somewhere before, but I hadn't equated it to the hair colour analogy. Although that doesn't seem to answer why I keep seeing B and AB blood types all the time; I thought those were fairly rare and very rare, respectively.

I'll have to check what my blood type means...

Edit: It says type O is:

Best Traits: Ambitious, athletic, robust and self-confident. Natural leaders
Worst Traits: Arrogant, vain and insensitive. Ruthless

Well, that doesn't really bode confidence in me in that theory of personality types! That isn't me at all.
Whoops, I forgot to ask the question that I meant to last time!

Quote:Original post by Beige
How the heck are we supposed to do character interrelations when we're doing a sketch for a single character?

This is part of what I meant to ask; we have an introduction already, but there's some ambiguity about what type of game it is. Am I right to assume that we can just make the game whatever we like, and design the characters accordingly? I'd write a different cast of characters for a simple action game than I would for an RPG, for example.
Quote:Original post by Trapper Zoid

Thanks. I did actually read this somewhere before, but I hadn't equated it to the hair colour analogy. Although that doesn't seem to answer why I keep seeing B and AB blood types all the time; I thought those were fairly rare and very rare, respectively.

I'll have to check what my blood type means...

Edit: It says type O is:

Best Traits: Ambitious, athletic, robust and self-confident. Natural leaders
Worst Traits: Arrogant, vain and insensitive. Ruthless

Well, that doesn't really bode confidence in me in that theory of personality types! That isn't me at all.

Lol since when do fictional characters obey any realistic distribution of rare traits?

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Lol since when do fictional characters obey any realistic distribution of rare traits?

Well, I guess they don't have to. But I'd expect if there was such a freak occurance of events that the characters would at least comment on the unlikeliness of it all (i.e. "Gee, my entire fourth-grade class is made up of identical septuplets? What are the odds?")
Quote:Original post by Beige
How the heck are we supposed to do character interrelations when we're doing a sketch for character?

If character interrelationships are important to the story then you should include at least something about them even if you are just alluding to the other characters. So use your judgment if a relationship between two characters is important to the story as you see it then you should include it. You don’t need to define the other character beyond their relationship with the character you are profiling.

Quote: Original post by Trapper Zoid
This is part of what I meant to ask; we have an introduction already, but there's some ambiguity about what type of game it is. Am I right to assume that we can just make the game whatever we like, and design the characters accordingly? I'd write a different cast of characters for a simple action game than I would for an RPG, for example.

Yep, the game is whatever you choose to mold it as. Just make sure what your right is cohesive with what has already been presented. Don’t try and introduce a tattooed hip hop robot unless you can back it up and connect it in logic manner to the games story told so far by the introduction.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement