Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Another noob...

Started by SPARTANITE Sep 23, 2005 at 3:52 PM 41 replies 3.8k views
Original Post
SPARTANITE
SPARTANITE
Hello, Im not sure if this is the proper place for this kind of thread, if it isnt please move it. Anyways, I have no experience creating games, I mastered the world editor from warcraft3 for those of you who are familiar with it, but besides that, know absolutely nothing about game design. I am 16, plan on getting into game design later for a career, and am in a digital design class. Im looking for a good place to start. I plan on getting the game programing for teens book, but need to know what kind of software is begginer friendly, and any other information that might be helpful.
SPARTANITE
SPARTANITE
Looks like I have got alot to learn... Im not really sure, Im guessing programmers deal with the scripting for the game such as triggers? And designers deal with creating in game objects like characters? If so then I want to be a designer.
Roboguy
Roboguy
Quote:
Original post by SPARTANITE
Looks like I have got alot to learn... Im not really sure, Im guessing programers deal with the scripting for the game such as triggers? And designers deal with creating in game objects like characters? If so then I want to be a designer.


Game designers write story, come up with the charaters, etc. The programmers make the game engines, do the scripting and pretty much everything technical.
SPARTANITE
SPARTANITE
Ahh, programmer it is then. So what do I get to begin learning the basics?
dudedbz1
dudedbz1
Programmer or Designer?

PROGRAMMER: You write the code that actually makes stuff happen. Game Programming for Teens is programming. But if you want to be a programmer I recomend C++. I was 11 when I started, now 13 and am dealing with graphics(dont think I'm a pro). I really recomend Beginning C++ Game Programming which starts from nothing and gets you to pointers and classes(the book I started with). Then if you wanna start making full graphics games you should go on to SDL. But dont mind any graphics now... If you know nothing about programming just get yourself a copy of that book, and install the software that comes with it. Then read it chapter by chapter, page by page. Try out the code in the book with the software, read all the tips, and just have fun and experiment. Make a classic 'Hello World!' program(that book teahces C++ from a gaming perspective, so its 'Game Over!'). You'll get it all, everyone starts as a beginner.
DESIGNER: Hmmm.... I havent done designing, so I cant really tell you much about it.
-----------------------------....::::DRAGON BALL Z::::....C<<"+"<<"+"; // Go C++ !!!-----------------------------
Oberon_Command
Oberon_Command
Welcome to GDNet! With regards to your question, the game designers essentially come up with the way the game will work, and the programmers implement their design. If you want to start now, you will have to do both since everyone your age has their own things to write, and they won't really be interested in helping you with your ideas. So, you will have to do both roles.

And if you think you're too young, then don't. I'm 15, and I started when I was 9.
KittyRa
KittyRa
1. Choose a programming language
2. Get a book on that language (tutorials might also work)
3. Practice...A LOT!
4. Learn an API
5. Make a game
6. Collect Cool T-Shirts!
7. Drink lots of unhealthy drinks!!

Anything I missed?
F-R-E-D F-R-E-D-B-U-R...G-E-R! - Yes!
SPARTANITE
SPARTANITE
Can any of you tell me the difference between the two books, the C++ book and the programming for teens book?
dudedbz1
dudedbz1
Uhhh.... MY OPINION: C++. I see it easy to learn, its the game industry standard(you most likely will need to know it to develop games), and its pretty much straight forward. Once you learn all about variables and functions and stuff you'll just start combining them and making games. And I've pretty much started with that book, so i guess you can check it out.
-----------------------------....::::DRAGON BALL Z::::....C<<"+"<<"+"; // Go C++ !!!-----------------------------
SPARTANITE
SPARTANITE
So the C++ involves the scripting, with triggers, and events and such, and what else?
Oxyacetylene
Oxyacetylene
Quote:
Original post by Roboguy
Quote:
Original post by SPARTANITE
Looks like I have got alot to learn... Im not really sure, Im guessing programers deal with the scripting for the game such as triggers? And designers deal with creating in game objects like characters? If so then I want to be a designer.


Game designers write story, come up with the charaters, etc. The programmers make the game engines, do the scripting and pretty much everything technical.



Actually it's the game-designers that do scripting, not the programmers.
SPARTANITE
SPARTANITE
Could you explain to me again what the two do, if they dont do what roboguy said?
Oxyacetylene
Oxyacetylene
Quote:
Original post by SPARTANITE
Could you explain to me again what the two do, if they dont do what roboguy said?


They do do what Roboguy said, he was just wrong when he said that scripting is part of the programmers job. Putting the spawn points/triggers in the level, and writing scripts is part of the game designers job.

When I worked as a game designer, I had to come up with designs for missions in the game. I had to write a document detailing everything that happened in that mission. Then I had to implement the mission in the scripting language for the game.
dudedbz1
dudedbz1
Hmmm... I dont know about scripting. The game I made is all C++ code. C++ is VERY powerful and very usefull. To tell you the truth, C++ as the beginning is just the way I started, so thats the way I'll continue. Thats mostly why I recomend C++, cuz I started real nice and easy with it.
-----------------------------....::::DRAGON BALL Z::::....C<<"+"<<"+"; // Go C++ !!!-----------------------------
Roboguy
Roboguy
Quote:
Original post by Oxyacetylene
Quote:
Original post by SPARTANITE
Could you explain to me again what the two do, if they dont do what roboguy said?


They do do what Roboguy said, he was just wrong when he said that scripting is part of the programmers job.

When I worked as a game designer, I had to come up with designs for missions in the game. I had to write a document detailing everything that happened in that mission. Then I had to implement the mission in the scripting language for the game.


That might depend on the team. But yeah, I can see game designers doing the scripting.

Quote:
Original post by dudedbz1
Hmmm... I dont know about scripting. The game I made is all C++ code. C++ is VERY powerful and very usefull. To tell you the truth, C++ as the beginning is just the way I started, so thats the way I'll continue. Thats mostly why I recomend C++, cuz I started real nice and easy with it.


Have you used any other languages? If not, how can you recommend C++ over them? C++ tends to be a bad scripting language, since it's so low level, compared to the languages commonly used for scripting.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.