Another noob...

Started by
41 comments, last by Oxyacetylene 18 years, 6 months ago
Hello, Im not sure if this is the proper place for this kind of thread, if it isnt please move it. Anyways, I have no experience creating games, I mastered the world editor from warcraft3 for those of you who are familiar with it, but besides that, know absolutely nothing about game design. I am 16, plan on getting into game design later for a career, and am in a digital design class. Im looking for a good place to start. I plan on getting the game programing for teens book, but need to know what kind of software is begginer friendly, and any other information that might be helpful.
Advertisement
Do you want to be a game designer or game programmer?
Looks like I have got alot to learn... Im not really sure, Im guessing programmers deal with the scripting for the game such as triggers? And designers deal with creating in game objects like characters? If so then I want to be a designer.
Quote:Original post by SPARTANITE
Looks like I have got alot to learn... Im not really sure, Im guessing programers deal with the scripting for the game such as triggers? And designers deal with creating in game objects like characters? If so then I want to be a designer.

Game designers write story, come up with the charaters, etc. The programmers make the game engines, do the scripting and pretty much everything technical.
Ahh, programmer it is then. So what do I get to begin learning the basics?
I would recommend the Python programming language. It's relatively easy to learn/use and it's powerful.
Programmer or Designer?

PROGRAMMER: You write the code that actually makes stuff happen. Game Programming for Teens is programming. But if you want to be a programmer I recomend C++. I was 11 when I started, now 13 and am dealing with graphics(dont think I'm a pro). I really recomend Beginning C++ Game Programming which starts from nothing and gets you to pointers and classes(the book I started with). Then if you wanna start making full graphics games you should go on to SDL. But dont mind any graphics now... If you know nothing about programming just get yourself a copy of that book, and install the software that comes with it. Then read it chapter by chapter, page by page. Try out the code in the book with the software, read all the tips, and just have fun and experiment. Make a classic 'Hello World!' program(that book teahces C++ from a gaming perspective, so its 'Game Over!'). You'll get it all, everyone starts as a beginner.
DESIGNER: Hmmm.... I havent done designing, so I cant really tell you much about it.
-----------------------------....::::DRAGON BALL Z::::....C<<"+"<<"+"; // Go C++ !!!-----------------------------
Welcome to GDNet! With regards to your question, the game designers essentially come up with the way the game will work, and the programmers implement their design. If you want to start now, you will have to do both since everyone your age has their own things to write, and they won't really be interested in helping you with your ideas. So, you will have to do both roles.

And if you think you're too young, then don't. I'm 15, and I started when I was 9.
1. Choose a programming language
2. Get a book on that language (tutorials might also work)
3. Practice...A LOT!
4. Learn an API
5. Make a game
6. Collect Cool T-Shirts!
7. Drink lots of unhealthy drinks!!

Anything I missed?
F-R-E-D F-R-E-D-B-U-R...G-E-R! - Yes!
Quote:Original post by DigiDude
1. Choose a programming language
2. Get a book on that language (tutorials might also work)
3. Practice...A LOT!
4. Learn an API
5. Make a game
6. Collect Cool T-Shirts!
7. Drink lots of unhealthy drinks!!

Anything I missed?

8. Go to 5 [smile]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement