Attacking A Target Faster Then You

Started by
2 comments, last by Siolis 18 years, 7 months ago
Yozel, im trying to work out stats for my RPG and i can’t decide if you should be able to attack or be attacked by other monsters/players with more or less agility stat than you. The way i see it logically is that if something’s even 1 point faster than you then you shouldn’t be able to whack it with anything as you cant move as fast, HOWEVER a biological organism is not perfect and an artificial one cant count on everything from terrain to environmental conditions (unless it was uber powerful but lets not get bogged down in semantics). There’s also the point that in a game you cant have it so only targets slower than yourself can be hit because it would make it stupid, if something was just a little bit faster than yourself but had no other stats and you could never hit it, it would be stupid. The way ive currently got it is that if something is as fast as you (100 AGI player V 100 AGI target) then there’s a 50% chance you’ll miss (this is before accuracy is brought into the subject btw) and if its 100% faster than you (i.e. 100 player V 200 target) then you’ll never hit it because you’ll have 0% chance to hit and vice versa, if its 100% slower than you, you’ll always hit it. Just in case anyone mentions it, this is before critical hits which are done with accuracy in my system. To sum up my topic, at what speed should the other guy be going before the game says, you are never going to hit your target and vice verse, at what speed should it be going before the game says you’ll always hit that (no sex jokes please ;]) Siolis
RPG: I'm going to rewrite this genre even if it kills me.
Advertisement
What you could do is keep a running total and award the Hit-Or-Miss depending on which part of the spread they roll. For example:

My AGI: 8
His AGI: 8
Total: 16
My Chance: .5
His Chance: .5

His AGI: 12
Total: 20
My Chance: .4
His Chance: .6

To use your other example:

My AGI: 100
His AGI: 200
Total: 300
My Chance: .333~
His Chance: .666~

That way, the character is never totally without a chance of striking, just the other guy's AGI throws the balance off.
william bubel
If they can get in , whack you and get out before you can react it'd be very frustrating. Look at boxing in real-life. If a fighter is quicker, generally, they'll get more punches in and be able to avoid counter-punches but there's always the chance of a lucky/well timed punch.
For playability's sake you shouldn't have somebody be able to get in range, whack and get out before you can react. If it's real-time you could have a 'point of no return' for the quicker attacker where they're committed and you've timed your punch well so they can't avoid it. If it's turn-based then have a percentage chance of getting some 'opportunity fire'.
Freedom Force is a good example. It has a character called 'The bullet' who's weak but quick. He'll get 3-4 punches in but 1 lucky counter-punch stops him in his tracks.
It gets more complicated with ranged combat where direction of movement is important. An enemy running across your field of vision is in range for longer but more difficult to hit.If they run away from you and can get out of range before you react and fire then they should be able to do it but not have enough points to move into range, fire and move out of range in one turn.
Quote:Original post by Inmate2993
What you could do is keep a running total and award the Hit-Or-Miss depending on which part of the spread they roll. For example:

His AGI: 8
Total: 16
My Chance: .5
His Chance: .5

His AGI: 12
Total: 20
My Chance: .4
His Chance: .6

To use your other example:

My AGI: 100
His AGI: 200
Total: 300
My Chance: .333~
His Chance: .666~

That way, the character is never totally without a chance of striking, just the other guy's AGI throws the balance off.

Thanks man, this was way useful in my equation. =]

Siolis
RPG: I'm going to rewrite this genre even if it kills me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement