• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Servant of the Lord

Suggestions?

This topic is 4747 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

'lo all. I am new to this forum and to game programming in genral. I am currently learning C & C++ by the means of 'C++ for Dummies' 'C++ in easy steps" and more importantly: 'Game programming all in one'. I have read most tutorials here at GameDev and I am using 'Dev C++' with the great 'allegro' library. Any suggestions on what I should read/do after 'All in one'? *Thanks* ________________________________________________________________________________ "A wise man fears the lord, a fool say there is no god"

Advertisement
If i could pick one thing to say first, create functions that take common sense everyday input, and preform large time saving tasks.
i.e.
make a function that loads and places a character, so you dont have to rewrite 50 lines of code each time you want to load a character.
and so on.

pick a direction(allegro I guess)

small scenes

basic geometry/model desing

geometry/model import

geometry/model orienting

geometry/model collision

simple physics

for non one screen puzzle games:

geometry sorting be location

geometry retreiving by location

collision with retrieved geometry from location

geometry culling(hiding non seen geometry for improved framerate)

advanced model/texture design

physics

advanced collision detection

and other stuff, probably simpler to learn from here inclusing designing your game interface or using templated graphical user interfaces

optional to different degrees:

networking, portability

very useful:

making tools to automate processes you have to do over and over.

Like a piece of a engine? Thats a good idea, thanks. I am currently a fifth of the way through 'all in one' but as soon as i finish i shall try that.

________________________________________________________________________________
"I can do all things through he who gives me strenth"

If you have been programming a while and you find you really enjoy it, you should pick up a copy of
Effective C++: 55 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs
. I've never read the book cover to cover; yet, it is nice, whenever you have time, to flip to a random item and learn something interesting about C++ and at the same time improve your coding style.

The book is not specific to games, but it is important as a programmer to really understand what goes on underneath the hood of C++.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!