college

Started by
9 comments, last by ph33r 18 years, 6 months ago
i have a long time, but i was bored and just wondering. does anyone know any good colleges for game development?
-Enjoi"Pratice is proggesion, not perfection."
Advertisement
Maybe Google it. But I saw a commercial on G4, http://westwoodcollegeonline.com, but honestly that is all I got. I think Marshall University has some classes. Maybe just general computer though. I will be looking for more. Or are you just looking for ones that you actually set foot on a campus?
cout<<"cout<<'' this is my siggy''";
to quagmire:

i`d actually like to go to the college. so yes set foot on campus.
If ya want, I will try to surf the net to see what I can find. Although, I am busy alot with programming. But I will look. And with other things on the PC.
cout<<"cout<<'' this is my siggy''";
I recommend a BS in computer science at a school with lots to offer in related fields (graphics, robotics, etc). UCF here in Orlando is a pretty decent school for the money, with TONS of simulation industry working hand in hand with them, so there is a lot of opportunity to get experience doing related things. They also are just opening that Interactive Entertainment Acadamy with EA for graduates who are interested in doing that kind of thing (though I'm not sure it's necessary if you already know what you're doing).

I think my point is this... looking for a school that offers "game development" or "game design" may not be the best bet overall. Look for the intangiable things like industry in the area where you can get experience before graduating.

Just my opinion of course...

I'd second a recommendation for BSCS, rather than game-specific. Your Math knowledge will be good for the next 100 years; your DirectX knowledge will only be good for the next 5 (if that). Learn the specific APIs on your own time instead.

Florida is great for the vis/sim side of the business, which is a little more aimed towards military simulation than games, but that's a good skill to have as a back-up :-) Other good colleges (judging by the candidates that do well when I interview them for jobs) include CMU, MIT, UCB, Stanford, and UI (University of Illinois).

Myself, I went to college in Europe, so I can't recommend anything from personal experience.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Heh... my post was meant to carry the implicit preface: "If you can get into MIT or Stanford, do that and ignore everything else I say."
to quagmire:

no thats ok. but thanks for offering. your busy so i you dont need to waist your time with that.

to smitty:

ya. i live like an hour away from UCF. so i`ll check that out.

thank you to both of you.
FullSail too, if you can afford it.
I go to CMU and the atmosphere is great here for game programming. Lots of us do it in our free time, there's an art major across the hall in my dorm that makes meshes in Maya for us, we have a class dedicated to it (haven't taken it yet but I hope to), and you won't have any trouble getting a job once you graduate. All the big companies recruit heavily here, so you'll have great employment options if you decide to go into something other than game programming, and good internship opportunities either way. To name a few companies you might have heard of that have recruited here so far this year, there's Google, Microsoft, AMD, and EA...I am very happy with my decision to attend CMU.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement