What have you learned?

Started by
12 comments, last by nes8bit 18 years, 6 months ago
For me, this project has been one of the most educational endeavours I have ever begun. I really learned a lot these past few months, especially considering that my last game was Pong (my entry is an RTS). So, what have you guys learned from this contest.
Advertisement
Hmm, good question.
  • I've learned that I can work pretty fast and quite hard when I have a strict timetable (I currently get up at 0545 to squeeze in 90min coding before leaving for work, and often then work until 2300 at night after dinner.

• I've learned that my other project - a racing game which is on hold - is WAY harder than normal game: this whole project has taken less time so far then I spent getting a half-decent tyre simulation. This project is just a game project and it's a lot more fun when you can add multiple features in a single day or even hour.

• I've learned that my design methods can't be too crap - I re-used lots of code from my racing game in a totally different genre without too much difficulty.

• I learned how to make a GUI system, whixh will be most useful to other projects

• I learned a lot more STL than I did before
  • Enemy AI is tough ****.

edit: i have no grammar
    Don't try and switch harddrives in the middle of development if you don't have access to all the drivers needed.. =/

Also, it's better to have a team.. One-man projects with such a short devolopment time can make the average person go insane..
    Check out my 4E6 progress!( Personal Guarantee! You will NOT get rick-rolled. )
    I've learned so much that I look back at my pre-4E4 self in disgust. In fact... (spitting sound) I just spit on a picture someone took of me seven months ago.

Prioritizing and working efficiently have been the two biggest things I've taken from this project.

*Re-usable design patterns (that are easy to implement, easy to use, and easy to remember)
    *Realistic timing goals (If I say something is going to take me 3 days, It really will only take three days)
    *Adjusting my design to makeup for cut features (I've cut alot of features from the design spec, and if I didn't take a little time to redesign my game would be a hollow shell)
    *Modeling (I've learned how much I like to model, texture, rig, and animate)
    *2D art (I've learned how much I friggin hate 2D art!)

I learned that I won't learn much if I continue to develop games.
    I learned that the contest is still open to entries and that trying to make an entire game in 18 days is a stressful endeavor.
    With love, AnonymousPosterChild
    i learned that it's impossible to make a 3d game in a month. i'll still be to make
    a 2d game though.
    Quote:Original post by skyfire
    i learned that it's impossible to make a 3d game in a month. i'll still be to make
    a 2d game though.

Thats not true at all. I FPS in VB6 when I was staying in another country for a 4E contest. I don't know how many more impediments I can throw into that one, but I had a lot. Its just your scale of determination.

Honestly what did I learn?

I learned that I can't go back into this industry until I have working capital. Free work and free middleware packages just don't cut it. -_-
    I learned there is something called the STL and String Class in C++ that seems to make things easier.

How to create a semi-usable GUI in Opengl.

You can use up a whole three hours of programming time with a result of just changing two spelling errors in comments.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement