particle sprites or point sprites

Started by
2 comments, last by BloodLust666 18 years, 6 months ago
I have a 2D engine. I'm creating a particle system for it. I've looked around and studied other engine's particle systems so i have the design of it done. well anyway, what my question is, since it's a 2D engine and i use ID3DXSprite's anyway, should i just use Sprites to render all of the particles? or use textured point sprites using a vertex buffer?
-------------------------Unless specified otherwise, my questions pertain:Windows Platform (with the mindset to keep things multi-platform as possible)C++Visual Studio 2008OpenGL with SFML
Advertisement
not that i am very experienced, but i just used good old sprites (when i worked on my particle system)

i THOUGHT point sprites were only useful in a 3d environment when you want the sprites to face you at all times... but someone better than me should answer your question; and i'll eagerly await the answer as well
alright thanks, i'll just comment the point sprite stuff out for now b/c they're not working right now... if i SHOULD use them now for what i'm doing, can someone show how to do it?
-------------------------Unless specified otherwise, my questions pertain:Windows Platform (with the mindset to keep things multi-platform as possible)C++Visual Studio 2008OpenGL with SFML
actually.. i think i'm just going to stick with sprites... it's a whole lot easier, i have sprites everywhere else and i'd only have vertecies in that one part of my engine and i don't know how to scale point sprites... SOOO sprites it is :-D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement