Software piracy bad? Napster good?

Started by
74 comments, last by dimitri_gamer 23 years, 1 month ago
Really? I just thought it was created by someone who wanted something better than Unix "talk"?

Edited by - Muzzafarath on December 27, 2000 3:51:08 PM
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
Advertisement
I think the music industry should be working with Napster. True, Napster was made for illegal purposes, but now that it''s out and there''s no way to stop it, why not work with it for the good of all. They should do what the software industry did, and create new ways to entice the people to buy the CD instead of d-loading it from Napster, i.e. "bonus" songs off the internet when you register your CD and stuff like that. Just like in software, where you can register your product and get free stuff, it makes people want to buy it instead of getting it for free w/o the added goods. I figure since Napster is here, and is so huge, quit trying to destroy it (since it can''t really be done), work together.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams."
- Willy Wonka
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original post by ImmaGNUman

So, yes, I agree that Napster is perfectly fine, but warez isn''t, because by definition warez is illegal, and you can decide whether to use Napster''s services for illegal stuff.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

give me a break. Napster was intentionally created to pirate music, and don''t tell me otherwise. Whats even worse is that the programming is half assed (what the hell is with everyone releasing beta''s as full products nowadays?), and the company has made 15 million dollars from their IPO.

Not only that, but they have teamed up with Bartlesman Liquer and have agreed to pay Bartlesman royalties for every song transferred, even if the song isnt even on their label!

Napster was first about stealing music. Now its about Stealing money.

Any programmer who likes napster and is against warez is instantly a hypocrite.

Really? The only music I have is the one I already own on CDs and listen to on computer, and Simpsons quotes. No, I will not let you get away with saying it is only used to do illegal things.

Ill give you half-assed programming, but please, make a distinction between stealing and downloading public domain, Napster isn''t stealing, otherwise everyone who uses Napster would have been arrested. Everything has good and bad uses. Some things created for evil have actually been good, and Im not telling you what the author of Napster was thinking when he made it, but it does have some legitimate uses. Every persotrying to break into the music industry could tell you that, because Im sure people have listened to their music thats public domain.

Now, you tell me I''m a hipocrite, and I can accept that, but it certainly won''t have to do with my opinion on this issue. I will say, I have done bad things, like download copyrighted music, and I won''t justify that, but I have deleted them all, of course this was the same time I tried to get warez, my bad phase. So, I have grown up much much more since then, and I have bought the CDs which I downloaded music from before, even though I deleted the music.

-----------------------------

A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."

The Micro$haft BSOD T-Shirt
-----------------------------A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."The Micro$haft BSOD T-Shirt
I agree with you for the most part, GNU, but everyone isn''t like you. The fact is that people ARE using it for bad purposes.... and not everyone that steals gets arrested. Just think about warez. Most people use Napster to steal, but some people don''t. I think if you''re looking for public domain, you should go to the band''s official website instead of Napster. That way you don''t have to root through all the illegal stuff.
-Forcaswriteln("Does this actually work?");
Well, as Vet said, people use Netscape for illegal stuff...

Anyway, its how it is used, not how you can use it, thats my point.

e.g. Knives can be used to murder, but they can also cut your steak.

-----------------------------

A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."

The Micro$haft BSOD T-Shirt
-----------------------------A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."The Micro$haft BSOD T-Shirt
quote:Original post by ImmaGNUman

e.g. Knives can be used to murder, but they can also cut your steak.

Depending on what you make your steak out of, there may not be a difference. :0
I just want to comment on something mentioned on the first page regarding radio stations. Yes music publishers beg and such to get their new singles on the air but there is a side that people seem to be forgetting. All radio stations pay outrageous monthly fee’s to ASCAP and BMI every month (and by outrageous I mean 50k and up for pop/rock/country formats). So they do actually pay to play the music. Just thought there was some misunderstanding on the whole radio comparison.

Thanks;
Prairie

Edited by - Prairie on December 28, 2000 11:04:07 AM
quote:Original post by ImmaGNUman
Everything has good and bad uses.

One thing you should know is that you should never say that everything is something. Because you will always be wrong in some cases. There are some things which have only an illegal use, like automatic lockpicks and speed camera detectors. There are also some things which have no illegal uses, although these are more difficult to think of. Napster does have legal uses, and so should not be banned. However, do not say everything has good and bad uses, because that is not true.

''Smile, things could get worse.''
So I smiled, and they did.

sharewaregames.20m.com

quote:I just want to comment on something mentioned on the first page regarding radio stations. Yes music publishers beg and such to get their new singles on the air but there is a side that people seem to be forgetting. All radio stations pay outrageous monthly fee’s to ASCAP and BMI every month (and by outrageous I mean 50k and up for pop/rock/country formats). So they do actually pay to play the music. Just thought there was some misunderstanding on the whole radio comparison.

Very good point, but I want to know, if you record something on cassette tape off the radio, are you then legally allowed to download it off Napster?

--------------------------
"640K ought to be enough for anybody." -Bill Gates 1981
--------------------------"640K ought to be enough for anybody."-Bill Gates 1981
Recording stuff from the radio is illegal, unless you only use a small portion of it for other work which does not center around the piece you recorded.

Taping an entire song for personal use: Legal
Taping an entire song for commercial use: Illegal
Taping a portion of a song and making a song based on it: Illegal
Taping a portion of a song and using the portion in a new song not based on previous song: Legal
Taping a portion of a song and putting it into an audio review: Legal.

The RIAA currently wants to make all of those examples illegal.

Personally, I feel that napster is not illegal, but I think it is wrong anyhow. The Napster Co. is hypocritical in claiming that they created the company to promote the lesser known musical acts.

Thats like claiming you created a warez server just to promote unknown software, yet all you can find on it is Microsoft products.

Go talk to a musician and see how they feel about not getting paid for their work, and you''ll find their opinion is remarkably similar to you game programmers about piracy.

===============================================
If there is a witness to my little life,
To my tiny throes and struggles,
He sees a fool;
And it is not fine for gods to menace fools.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement