Best brand of linux?

Started by
14 comments, last by ilovemayonaise 18 years, 5 months ago
I use both Linux and FreeBSD daily, more than I use windows lately and I must say I love FreeBSD for a server. It has a better memory manager and it's code base is 20 years more mature than linux's. Plus you can install the ports collection(/usr/ports) which includes just about everything you need. My webserver runs it and I don't have a bit of trouble. :)
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
  1. Print or write down the names of all Linux distributions you can find on a sheet of paper. For completeness, add all free BSD variants.

2. Tear up the sheet such that each piece has a single name on it.

3. You have several options here:
    1. Place all the pieces of paper in a hat/other large container, dip your hand in and randomly pick one;

2. Place all the pieces of paper on a dartboard (or appropriately large surface) then throw a dart/shoot an arrow/squirt a watergun/fire a paintball gun, preferrably blindfolded, and consider whichever one your dart/arrow/water/paint pellet strikes as your selection;

3. Throw the pieces up into the air like confetti and try to catch one as they come down (warning: this method requires cleanup), which will be your selection; and so forth...

4. ...

5. Profit.

The moral being that, for a server which doesn't need to run the latest, most cutting-edge software, which doesn't need to run arbitrary applications (you can compile all your binaries for it) and doesn't have any other stated special requirements, it really don't matter which distro you pick. Just pick one.

Happy hacking.

Zanzigs, darn nan que. Hof? Sure. BSD is swell, Linux gabbers too.

Go for it.

[Edited by - Name_Unknown on October 21, 2005 3:33:45 AM]
"It's such a useful tool for living in the city!"
Quote:Original post by Name_Unknown
BSD. It's a different kind of *nix. It is the one true *nix though. But they're more suited to servers than desktops right now.

Perhaps you should take time and read OPs post?
Which distro for you? A test to determine which distro to try out ... [grin]
This space for rent.
Quote:Original post by Winograd
Quote:Original post by Name_Unknown
BSD. It's a different kind of *nix. It is the one true *nix though. But they're more suited to servers than desktops right now.

Perhaps you should take time and read OPs post?

That is probably true but I have no time for such things.
"It's such a useful tool for living in the city!"
If you're just running a server for games you won't need to install any X libraries. I say go with Debian or SlackWare and keep the system lean try not to run any services except for your game and a sshd for remote administration.

Which games are you planning on running?

if you have trouble setting up your system head down to one of those LUGs someone would definitly be able to give you a hand.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement