Stax v1.0

Started by
2 comments, last by Stemic 18 years, 6 months ago
Yes, we know. A Tetris clone. It was fun to create it though. Feel free to download it here: http://www.fearworks.net/stax/Stax_Setup.zip (355kb) Feedback is welcome. Cheers, Stemic
Advertisement
It felt like a solid tetris implementation and I'm sure you learned a lot by creating it. I liked the star-block, but apart from that, there was not much innovation [smile].

I really think you should release the sourcecode, because it is from source to games like this that noobs can learn a lot. When I was new to C++/Win32, I would kill to get the source to a game like this.

Here are some tips for improvment on this game:

• Save the name the user enters when creating a new game, so you don't need to fill in your name again the second time you play.

• The 4 sec unlocking time isn't very useful. I understand that it feels good knowing that your names show up each time you start the game [smile], but this just gets in the way. Instead of "unlocking" time, have a "delay" time which will allow the user to skip by clicking with the mouse for instance.

Here some tips for you next game:

• Put as much innovation in your games as possible. Even if the game is based on a very tested gameconcept, it is by implementing innovations (like the star in your tetris clone) that renew the experience.

• Spiff up your game with graphics! This game could look a lot more invitating if you would have a background image for instance.

• Music and engaging sound effects can do wonders to a game.

Good luck on your next game!
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code
Pretty good. Speed and controls were smooth. I was a bit annoyed by that beeping sound when the block was descending. As Enselic said, it does need an improvement on graphics and music.
Both of your replies were very useful and we (Darmax and I) have certainly learned from the points made.

Regarding Stax; the most important complaints are:
- Not being able to mute sound (specifically the descend of stacks)
- Not being able to bypass the lock at startup

These complaints were made by a good amount of players. We will perhaps add these features in a later stage.

If we are to pursue the creation of another game, we will certainly keep what has been said here in the backs of our minds. We agree that innovation, graphics and sounds impact gameplay, which motivates us to improve those concepts next time.

Thanks for the feedback,
Stemic

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement